Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:24
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th September 2010, 15:44

Send a message via Skype™ to darloboy
speed

hi in the northern territory extreme north central oz speed is limited to 130pkh but only for the last 30months or so we are spread out well here I am 4200kms from darwin about 4000 from sidney our last voyage with the wobbley(caravan) on the back was 33746kms at an average fuel use of 16.2 lters per 100 ks at av speed 63kph using a 4 liter petrol engine with auto trans the wobbley is 18 ft 1800 kilo all up travel weight the wagon is an aussie ford territory wagon not 4wd but big & heavy enough todays fuel(91oct) is 119cents a liter(68p) as is diesel 98oct is 131(73p)goes up tomorrow by 10 cents & will drop slowly till next thursday 6am back up called the weekly fluctuation in our state fuel price is held for 24 hours & must published no later than2pm previous day on the fuel watch website so we can work out where it is priced& if if it worth the drive chasing a deal
Old 29th September 2010, 15:54

the uk

well to all who read this i am an ex pat from darlington used that a1 by thumb as a sqaddy for a few years moved south on leaving the army more work but we came south to oz no regrets at all i spent 7 years in germany a couple at catterick what a posting for a darloboy (her is a cov kid) but the north is where we liked most up in the dales but no we only visit once in a while too cold & wet we did christmas 08 that white stuff has knobs on it we didn't like it slip sliding away & no brit cars or woolies
Old 29th September 2010, 16:12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Territory
Old 29th September 2010, 16:26

territory

yes thats the beast woderful car mine is 'poverty pack' don't believe in paying for stuff i dont use put on extras at my price not theirs might be something to do with the scot/jewish heritage
Old 1st October 2010, 01:35

speed limit

as a kid i mean young i can remember the 20mph on the back of trucks & listening to dad & his mates story telling(times don't change?)about 'knocking on' 24/25 mph seems so long ago when i see the size of engines today at 600hp full auto trans etc with 140 tons up at 60 mph on the flat 4 trailers like (the matchbox truck)where next like previously said drive by wireless comms as used by the mining co's on the 3km long iron ore trains 1 man 6 engines what a thought the big if well off to do my bit darloboy
Old 5th October 2010, 15:01

road trains/truck speed

evening from oz we previously touched on speed one of the problems here is distance the next city north is 350k's then after that another similar run & so on up the coast inland going north via northern highway maybe a 1,000 km but with small towns regularly spaced .At lower speeds it will take forever to get any where but too fast is a danger too. I have a 3800 km run in our wagon (estate car sorry) to do Christmas with our son so try london to well past moscow over some of the most deadly tiring country on earth but we enjoy it
Old 6th October 2010, 03:53

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Deadly?? In what way, because of the heat?
Old 6th October 2010, 10:18

deadly

deadly boring, straight roads for many miles one stretch is 90 miles in the real measure known as the 90 mile straight naturally across the nullabor plain there is a roadhouse(service area) at each end more or less with plenty of boys in blue checking I have seen a pic of speedo at 190 kph engine on speed cut (governor) a similar engine/trans to mine .the artics(semi trailer to us) 2 trailers or b doubles are main freighters leaving depot in perth with upwards of 900 liters of diesel on board some are equipped with a tank on the lead trailer pumped forward as required letting them do 4,000 or km without a fill sleeping in the cab using roadhouse to clean up etc the heat becomes a problem if the air con stops or a tyre pops but winter ??? top temp is not less than 15*c nights go below 0, summer well we have had 47*c 2pm 14*c at 4am thats just out of ceduna south australia in early feb
Old 6th October 2010, 10:26

servo price

i forgot todays fuel petrol 91oct is about 72p 95oct 77p diesel 78pjust filled the 250 4 1/2 liters the 4liter 69 liters at 77p what is your price ?
Old 6th October 2010, 12:50

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
I personally have never had a problem as regards "dropping off at the wheel" and once drove from Zakapane right through till half way through Germany before my co driver insisted he take over. I believe in having the window open, or having the fan blow cold and have the music on.
As my Brother would say, "it's an attitude of mind"! Shame he didn't bear that in mind when he was my co driver that time!!