Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
06:12
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Other Road Transport > Transport Cafes - Past & Present

Old 4th October 2008, 13:44

There were a lot of caffs on the A13 as well.It's a long time ago since I used any of them but the Four Oaks at Rainham was one that also did B&B.You had to back in off the A13 when the park was getting full and a young lad used to ask you what time you were away in the morning so you could be at the front.Interestingly,BRS wagons were always at the back.
Another one I recall was called Micks,always full of tankers day and night.I can't remember exactly where it was but you could get "bacon,egg and babble" anytime you wanted.There was another near some traffic lights at Collingham??,where you turned right to either Shell or Mobil refineries. And there was a nice little place off the A13 on Canvey Island not far from Texaco and London and Coastal Oil Wharves.It was still there in the 70s after the new road was put in to avoid Benfleet.
There were stacks more but me memory's not as good as it was

As an afterthought does anybody remember the cafe just off the Norf Circular close to the A10 roundabout on the A111? Southgate/Cockfosters road.It was handy for an early breakfast and got you away from the traffic later on.It was run by a Greek couple IIRC.

Chris.

Last edited by Mandator; 4th October 2008 at 13:48.
Old 5th October 2008, 15:43

parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandator View Post
The one near Beattock,the name of which escapes me,opposite the quarry had a park like the surface of the bloody moon and it also had revolving doors The Hilltop cafe was at Blyth on the A1.I remember the cafe at Stainmore on the A66,used to call there regular.Smith of Maddiston used to changeover there with Stirlands of Nottingham at night and used to see them both every night when on Penrith/Carlisle/Lockerbie trunk.
deckboypeggy.
thats what is missing the moon scape lorry parks. didnt you just love watching your load doing lists of45degres.whoops,yes lincoln farm was good,[and the blueys]didnt he get in trouble?? films.jacks hill at towcester is still going.
Old 12th October 2008, 22:41

Did a midnight changeover at the Jungle, working for Charles Alexander. First time ever at the place, came up from the Bilston depot on a Sunday night. Misbehaved myself so for a punishment got volunteered by the manager and you would never say no to him, and nobody would work on a Sunday/Monday in there right mind. Anyway.the cafe was full and I was outside stood by the pumps looking up to Shap, seeing some headlights lighting the skyline up, when another driver appeared and pulled me towards the cafe. "You bleeding mad standing there this time of a night with that lot comming"
Who can remember the race down Shap with Caledonian, Charles Alexander,Coopers and ther was another who's name escapes me at the moment (senior moment) but were always overloaded. I can remember this as one of them cut up Cooper and forced him to come very close to the pumps and if I had still been standing there I would have had an instant change of colour in my underpants.
MackMan
Old 14th October 2008, 20:27

Rendevous

That Rendevous on the A5 Crick was a bit of a place the holes in the lorry park were so deep a wagon would get lost in one if you looked carefully you could find a landrover hidden in a rut. One of my workmates used to sleep there at the back (the days before sleeper cabs) god knows how with all the stuff in and out through the night. After it became a BP truckstop I used to enjoy going in there but I regret it did not last ,I presume it was loosing money and it was bought by another company I last called in about 2004 so not sure if its still going..Can anyone remember the cafe nr sandpits on the old A4 colnbrook just a little to the east of Jocks at Slough, it was very popular .It featured a lot in the Channel 4 tv documentry " Classic Trucks" they changed all the signs out front,I saw them and thought whats going on here? I have been to most cafe's in Southern England as far as the Bold near St Helens. I used to run to Bridgewater regularly leaving Maidstone about 3am the only bit of motorway was close to London fly down the old A4 and stop for breakfast at the Golden Arrow about 6am, I can remember a big table cram packed with cheap tools I bought the missus a pair of big scissors which broke in half when she threw in temper, Cheers, Alan
Old 14th October 2008, 20:45

Hi Alan
The truck Stop on the A5 is still going that was where the Rugby Truck Show was held.

Cheers
Ian
Old 15th October 2008, 03:48

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfo098 View Post
That Rendevous on the A5 Crick was a bit of a place the holes in the lorry park were so deep a wagon would get lost in one if you looked carefully you could find a landrover hidden in a rut. One of my workmates used to sleep there at the back (the days before sleeper cabs) god knows how with all the stuff in and out through the night. After it became a BP truckstop I used to enjoy going in there but I regret it did not last ,I presume it was loosing money and it was bought by another company I last called in about 2004 so not sure if its still going..Can anyone remember the cafe nr sandpits on the old A4 colnbrook just a little to the east of Jocks at Slough, it was very popular .It featured a lot in the Channel 4 tv documentry " Classic Trucks" they changed all the signs out front,I saw them and thought whats going on here? I have been to most cafe's in Southern England as far as the Bold near St Helens. I used to run to Bridgewater regularly leaving Maidstone about 3am the only bit of motorway was close to London fly down the old A4 and stop for breakfast at the Golden Arrow about 6am, I can remember a big table cram packed with cheap tools I bought the missus a pair of big scissors which broke in half when she threw in temper, Cheers, Alan
Maidstone eh! I used digs there at the "Papermakers arms' When i got to the room (over the bar) there was a marble wash stand with a porcelain jug of water underneath it. Very quaint place with an excellent breakfast the following morning served up in the Bar.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:29

Ok billyboy, an aunt used to clean at that establishment if you want I'll send you a picture of the pub its still the same..It was not until '91 we got decent trucks you could sleep in prperly then the company closed.For nearly 30 years we stayed in digs like the "Jubilee" Brownhills and the" Kernal" at Bloxwich But I prefered Places like Mrs Webber's in Bridgend, park at about 1730 (cattle market )have a lovely evening meal ,really nice bed & massive breakfast take the 10 min walk back in the morning with a paper If anything had happened to the lorry over night too bad..Best wishes ,Alan
Old 15th October 2008, 11:09

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Odd how cattle markets made good park ups eh! Often used the one at Reading. Cafe opposite did great grub and gave you a reciept for overnight parking (free) so we could claim back for the cost of the meal.
Parked alongside a wagon who's driver was bragging about the two fog lights he had fitted. His language woke me up the next morning. Someone had nicked them during the night. (and it was'nt me!)
Old 12th December 2013, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 UXU View Post
Do any of you lads remember the Moss ?.
I used the Moss shortly before it was demolished. It was a time warp, the same curling lino, chipped formica tables and smoke stained cream paint that I had I had seen there as a child in the late fifties.
Old 12th December 2013, 00:36

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Odd how cattle markets made good park ups eh! Often used the one at Reading. Cafe opposite did great grub and gave you a reciept for overnight parking (free) so we could claim back for the cost of the meal.
Parked alongside a wagon who's driver was bragging about the two fog lights he had fitted. His language woke me up the next morning. Someone had nicked them during the night. (and it was'nt me!)

I know I shouldn't, but I can't help but laugh at a situation like that!

Testing, but give us a try: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com