Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
10:53
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Other Road Transport > Transport Cafes - Past & Present

Old 11th September 2008, 00:14

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
few and far between

The good old transport cafes are very few and far between these days.
In the days before the motorways there were plenty on all the "A" roads and a good many on the "B" roads as well.
Good food too. BIG fry up int he morning. roast beef and 3 veg with gravy and apple pie desert for lunch and a good feed for dinner in the evenings. That why we all got big tummy's?
The motorway foods are a bit expensive and the standard of the meals is not the same.
Anyone remember the one's by Gatwick, redhill, Bassets pole, lincoln farm near kenilworth, Scotts corner to mention but a few
Old 12th September 2008, 15:55

I think, travelling with my dad back in the 1950s I ate more often in them than at home. Even in the car, visiting relatives down in London we always ate in a transport cafe
There was a good one on the A74, just outside Beattock and opposite to a quarry.
Hill Top near Doncaster back in the 1950s
There was a caravan on the old A66, pretty much at the top. It was later replaced by a permanent building and rapidly went downhill from then. The Gate, on the A2 has ben a Transport Cafe since I can remember. Nothing like the original now though.
Old 13th September 2008, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
The good old transport cafes are very few and far between these days.
In the days before the motorways there were plenty on all the "A" roads and a good many on the "B" roads as well.
Good food too. BIG fry up int he morning. roast beef and 3 veg with gravy and apple pie desert for lunch and a good feed for dinner in the evenings. That why we all got big tummy's?
The motorway foods are a bit expensive and the standard of the meals is not the same.
Anyone remember the one's by Gatwick, redhill, Bassets pole, lincoln farm near kenilworth, Scotts corner to mention but a few
I remember Bassetts Pole billyboy,used to park up on there and fiddle home to Sheffield on the old log book.Others in the area were the Tree at Alrewas and the Oakamoor(still open)at Barton-under-Needwood both on the A38.Further towards Derby was the Y-Pass and a dirty scruffy hole called the Airport where the rats used to queue up with you for breakfast.Then there was Atkins cafe at Findern,Derby which belonged to FB Atkins the hauliers.
Not many good old cardiac arrest places open now.
Old 13th September 2008, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFadyin View Post
I think, travelling with my dad back in the 1950s I ate more often in them than at home. Even in the car, visiting relatives down in London we always ate in a transport cafe
There was a good one on the A74, just outside Beattock and opposite to a quarry.
Hill Top near Doncaster back in the 1950s
There was a caravan on the old A66, pretty much at the top. It was later replaced by a permanent building and rapidly went downhill from then. The Gate, on the A2 has ben a Transport Cafe since I can remember. Nothing like the original now though.
The one near Beattock,the name of which escapes me,opposite the quarry had a park like the surface of the bloody moon and it also had revolving doors The Hilltop cafe was at Blyth on the A1.I remember the cafe at Stainmore on the A66,used to call there regular.Smith of Maddiston used to changeover there with Stirlands of Nottingham at night and used to see them both every night when on Penrith/Carlisle/Lockerbie trunk.
Old 14th September 2008, 22:34
Super Moderator

I used to fill up the wagon with derv and go and have a good feed at the Moss Cafe on the A74 between Carlisle and Gretna, if you parked up at the back it was like Multi Coloured Swapshop, you could buy or sell anything. The cafe was second to none, you could get a roast beef dinner at 2am in the morning. Do any of you lads remember the Moss ?. All the best.
birdforum.net
Old 15th September 2008, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 UXU View Post
I used to fill up the wagon with derv and go and have a good feed at the Moss Cafe on the A74 between Carlisle and Gretna, if you parked up at the back it was like Multi Coloured Swapshop, you could buy or sell anything. The cafe was second to none, you could get a roast beef dinner at 2am in the morning. Do any of you lads remember the Moss ?. All the best.
I remember the Moss Chris.I bought a socket set off somebody with a van about midnight on my way back from a Lockerbie changeover.Cost me thirty bobbish and still got them
Old 16th September 2008, 06:32

The Moss is now two separate service stations, both sides of the carriageway, and a Little Chef! They`ve built a new weighbridge next to it as part of the conversion of the
A74 to motorway, which I believe will be open 24/7. The cafe near Beattock was called Coatsgate. Star truck stop at Lesmahagow, J10 is still there, and not bad for a meal.
There`s a good cardiac arrest caravan on the approach to Woodhead that`s open 24/7, just off J35a of the M1, try and eat a full English in there! Hi to all that know me from Railway Forum.
Regards Mike.
Old 16th September 2008, 07:11

I dont know how some of us survived all those cardiac arrest stops we used to make. full english at 8am.....mixed grill at 1 pm....roast dinner at 6pm followed by a couple of pints and a fish and chip takeaway. Maybe thats why I am not so well today. not enough lard in my diet anymore...LOL
Old 16th September 2008, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2E0BLL View Post
The Moss is now two separate service stations, both sides of the carriageway, and a Little Chef! They`ve built a new weighbridge next to it as part of the conversion of the
A74 to motorway, which I believe will be open 24/7. The cafe near Beattock was called Coatsgate. Star truck stop at Lesmahagow, J10 is still there, and not bad for a meal.
There`s a good cardiac arrest caravan on the approach to Woodhead that`s open 24/7, just off J35a of the M1, try and eat a full English in there! Hi to all that know me from Railway Forum.
Regards Mike.
That's the one,the Coatsgate and I've been in the Star many a time(and the pub!).I know the cardiac arrest caravan on t'way to Woodhead but never been in.And Hi to all who know me from the Railway Forum as well(60074).
There used to be a good cafe called the Wychbold near the M5/A38 Droitwich junction,is that still there?
Old 16th September 2008, 11:25

Is Scots corner still going?