Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
23:22
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2011, 20:49

i guess they are few and far between ?, i wondered if there had been any restored ?, i'll do some searching and post some info if i find anything

cheers
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:57

Photos that I have found were taken at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2008:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fryske/...ke/2821243967/

http://www.gdsf.co.uk/visitors_infor...e_gallery.aspx

Looks like Gaydon could also be a possibility . . .
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:59

thanks for the links, i'm going to make gaydon this year what date is it on ?
cheers
Old 4th January 2011, 06:16

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....ercial-show-2/
Old 4th January 2011, 22:23

cheers : )
Old 30th September 2013, 16:59

Hi Derrick,

I'm interested in any pictures you may of your Father's time at Inskip's. AER Inskip was my Grandfather's company and I don't have any photographs from those days, would be good to what else you may have.

Thanks

Paul Inskip
Old 1st October 2013, 16:56

Send a message via AIM to ceylon220
ORM857 Commer. this was a sight to see at night when tackling steep hills--talk about a firework display---don`t know how many times that I was pulled up by motorist telling me that I was on fire--could never find out why the cab was leaning slightly back instead of being straight, she was always reliable especially on a hard frosty morning going up into Scotland you would see the modern wagons at the Moss Cafe having to have heat brought onto the diesel tanks with fires set up in 5 gall drums to thaw out the fuel--never had that trouble, no built in cab heaters in those days.no bunks built in, just crash out along the seats, these young drivers of today don`t know the half of it, cabs now have all the comfort of home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commer.jpg (33.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PInskip View Post
Hi Derrick,

I'm interested in any pictures you may of your Father's time at Inskip's. AER Inskip was my Grandfather's company and I don't have any photographs from those days, would be good to what else you may have.

Thanks

Paul Inskip
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply,

My late father Fred worked for your grandfather (i think dad said his name was Ernie ?)..initially back in the early 50's..hence the Commer pic, i came across that picture (the only one with reference to Inskips lorries..so far ) wh my mother moved into a local care home. (she said goodbye to the house she raised us all in the Boundary.... after 55years !!).

I will have a word with my elder sisters, Jan & Sue as they seem to have a photograph memory of their early years, (a women thing i think)..to see if they have any photos...

I can recall the building that your Grandad had, as early premises in Carding ton,is still there, Dad used to recall fond memories of that time, he left the RAF and soon after started with your Grandad.

Where abouts are you in the Bedford area ?.i am in Brickhill

Kind Regards

Derrick
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
ORM857 Commer. this was a sight to see at night when tackling steep hills--talk about a firework display---don`t know how many times that I was pulled up by motorist telling me that I was on fire--could never find out why the cab was leaning slightly back instead of being straight, she was always reliable especially on a hard frosty morning going up into Scotland you would see the modern wagons at the Moss Cafe having to have heat brought onto the diesel tanks with fires set up in 5 gall drums to thaw out the fuel--never had that trouble, no built in cab heaters in those days.no bunks built in, just crash out along the seats, these young drivers of today don`t know the half of it, cabs now have all the comfort of home.
Hi Ceylon,

Wonderful pic thanks : )..

Great recollections : )....dad used tell me some staggering stories travelling the country in the those lorries, One freezing night exhausted after a marathon drive he pulled into a layby, fell asleep arms across the huge steering wheel...woke with a startle, and had "froze" to the wheel !!! they just got on with it then...staggering men.

Kind Regards

Derrick
Old 7th October 2013, 03:03

I remember going to a car show in the 80s, Somerset I think and there was a guy there with a Commer 2-stroke fitted to an American pick-up truck.

In the 60s and 70s there was a transport company running out of Nettlebed, Oxon. Bury's Transport I think, they had some Commers and I remember the noise they made going past school.

TK restoration blog: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...dford-tk.43480