Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:33
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th November 2008, 09:13
Administrator

CB Radio nostalgia

Anyone use it in the old days? Anyone still hanging on and use it today?
'handles' appreciated, if you dare

cheers,
Andy
Old 19th November 2008, 11:21

Cb radio

I wouldnt go any where without a cb radio in the truck about 10 years ago,I loved the banter with the other drivers and our drivers would often meet up and run back to the depot together just for the banter , Great days.

ive still got loads of CB radioes in the garage most of them i used for parts as i used to repair a lot of the lads CB,s as they were prone to 24 volting them.
I have one in the garage hooked up to a gp home base aeriel but i havent realy used it for about 4 years now as theirs vurtually no one one them now.
In my locker at work i have an old harrier cb and k40 mag mount but it hasent seen any use for about 3 years as were local now and no longer get the same wagon each day.
mobile phones and the internet have virtually made them redundant now though i still get nostalgic for those convoy days,they were a good laugh and kept us awake goin down the road and on the way back.
Old 19th November 2008, 13:05
Administrator

Ah the old K40... quality There used to be a K40 mic as well.

So there's nobody on it much anymore? Bit of shame that, always good fun chatting up a sexy voice in the towns along the way... then if you did meet her, you'd wish you hadn't Why was it, the sexier the eyeball card was, the more scary the woman?

I was almost a permanent fixture in Truck King back in the early 80's ... helped (voluntarily) to install quite a few bits in and on the cabs of customers. I never took them up on a job (wiring mics and things) but they were good days.

cheers
Andy
Old 19th November 2008, 13:22

Cb radio

The good news andy is that they did away with the license during 2007 so they are free to use now and they still turn up at car boot fairs cheep.
Also they are not ilegal to use whilst driving , mobile phones are.

there are still lots of truck drivers using CB radio,s .

There is a eddy stobart fan who stands on the motorway bridge at stockton with a hand held CB and hails a lot of drivers he has got to no over the years.
Old 19th November 2008, 13:39

Hi Andy, I used CB radio all the time. In the US not having a CB radio was the same as driving without lights a night. Even though there was a lot of rubbish on the airways at times it was invaluable when looking for directions or when there was a major accident on the Hwy. The police monitored CB radio also and this was good especially if trouble was brewing in a rough area loading or unloading. Night time driving had a different type of user, many good conversations took place then (most of the rubbish heard on air seemed to dissappear at night). CB radio was good for information, especially when parked up in a strange truckstop. Mind you some information floating around truckstops was not for certain ears but then thats another storey. My Handle while in the US was the "Irish Warrior" in Ireland I was called "The Captain" a name my friends gave me relating to my sea going days, even though I was not a captain. Of course CB radios came in all sizes with all the bells and whistles and antennas that would have made some radio stations feel small. These users were known as "Big Radios" with some of the strangest voice sounds you ever heard. Some of them sounded as if they were talking out of a mine shaft through a fog horn. I'm sure other users will have other stories. Regards Pat.
Old 19th November 2008, 13:49
Administrator

There's quite a few truck drivers using 2m around here, but that's a bit more formal to say the least.

Yes, that was an interesting exemption for use of handheld ptt microphones ... I reckon you'd get pulled over 9/10 time by a cop who see's you, but at least you'll be in the right.

cheers,
Andy
Old 19th November 2008, 21:02

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
I used them when i lived in the midlands a lot. slide mounted so i could have it in the car or the wrecker. also had one set as a base at home. The K40 on a mag mount was great.
Anyone copy the "rain check" from those days.(me)
As was said earlier some of the eyeballs were a bit of a surprise to sat the least. Great for getting directions in a strange town though..
How many of you coppied "By blue" He was a copper sat on the motorway bridge on the M1. He would slow you down for the "Pick and Shovel" then tell you to get the "pedal to the metal" when you cleared it. Great days. Wish i could get it going out here
Old 19th November 2008, 21:07

Another chap i used to chat to on the M1 was a guy called "Diesel Demon" then there was "Gear Jammer" from Milton keynes.
Had some great copies on the M6 too. homeward bound with a suspended tow to the midlands from Blackpool at midnight it proved to be great company and certainly kept you awake.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:12

Used to be some great wind-up merchants out there too. Like one guy who drove for Morris's oils. claiming to be a passenger in a motorcycle sidecar. said he was very cold in his string vest. Ladies were inviting him for a cup of tea...LOL
Old 19th November 2008, 21:23

CB Radio

There used to be a lad at sheffield who was paid by the council to give truckers directions through the city.

First time i went into sheffield he took me right to my drop. He would use channel 15 if i remember correctly. If he was was not available there were a few retired truckers that would guide u in.
Long live old truckers is that a four.

Last edited by les turnbull; 19th November 2008 at 21:47.