Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
10:25
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion

Old 20th January 2019, 11:50

leyland/daf cold start

Hi all,
I have recently bought a mid eightys Leyland/daf 160ti. I have rebuilt the Cummins 6 BT engine and have noticed there is no provision for glow plugs. On the Dodge pickups with this engine there is a heater element grid bolted to the intake manifold. My engine has nothing. I visited a scrap yard where there are at least 30 of these Cummins motors (turboed and N/A) on the floor and none has any kind of heater plugs. Does this engine not need a cold start system or am I missing something.
Kev
Old 20th January 2019, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdachev View Post
Hi all,
I have recently bought a mid eightys Leyland/daf 160ti. I have rebuilt the Cummins 6 BT engine and have noticed there is no provision for glow plugs. On the Dodge pickups with this engine there is a heater element grid bolted to the intake manifold. My engine has nothing. I visited a scrap yard where there are at least 30 of these Cummins motors (turboed and N/A) on the floor and none has any kind of heater plugs. Does this engine not need a cold start system or am I missing something.
Kev
I have an idea that the pump has a cam ring inside it that works off of the fuel pressure. As soon as the engine stops it advances the timing to help with cold starting - then once the fuel pressure builds up it drops back to the normal running position.