Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:56
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Other Road Transport > Models & Other Collectables

Old 21st December 2011, 14:02

Revell 1/24 Routemaster

You are probably saying that Sunstar have already done a good job of covering this. You would be wrong...

At least Revell got the model into the shops before Christmas, as promised.

For a start, the Revell kit is the RML rather than the normal RM. Second, it is a quarter of the price of the diecast, though there is a fair amount of work to be done to make the model. The kit costs £39.99 though you may be able to get it cheaper online.

What do you get? There are two Routemasters depicted in the kit. The first is RML2273 CUV273C on Route 76 to Victoria with no adverts and RML2757 SMK757F on Route 38 to Piccadily Circus with adverts. You get the upholstery pattern in the form of decals, so no clever painting required there.

There are also options in the build. You can build the bus as it left the factory, or include the 1992 update (indicators?). A more intereting option is for the engine. You have the original Leyland unit and also a completely separate Scania engine for the 1996 update. Either of which may prove useful to the scratchbuilders out there who are looking for a suitable engine for a model.

Also for the scratchbuilder I think it would be possible to produce a 27' 6" version as there is a small section added to the roof in front of the rear dome, which could be left off, though the rest of the bus would require a fair amount of cutting on straight pieces. At least from that point of view the body is multi-piece with inside and outside walls, though the floor, chassis etc would involve a fair amount of work.
Old 25th December 2011, 09:27

Apparently the "Leyland" engine is in actual fact the AEC unit that was fitted to majority of the RML series. Seems the Scania unit was only fittef to "normal" RM's, so looks to be something for the spares box, unless you perform major surgery on the body. I was trying to find some information about the Scania unti but a Google search did not bring up anything particularly helpful.
Old 25th December 2011, 10:00

Quote:
Post-privatisation, in 1996, the Routemasters on London Central's RMs on route 36, Stagecoach London's RMLs for routes 8 and 15, and Arriva's RMs for route 159, all received new Scania engines.
From:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routema...ife_extensions
Old 26th December 2011, 09:56

thanks, I had checekd that page out though. There it says the RML only had Iveco or Cummins replacements. With the mis-named AEC engine I am wondering if the replacement engine is correct, but Revell used the information from the RM updates.

The replacement engine is a 6 cylinder. I found a site were an RM was restored and it looks as if the engine is the Scania DC901, DC902 or DC903. So, not accurate for the RML. Definitely one for the spares box. At least the other engine is accurate for the bus.

I would not be surprised to see an aftermarket correct replacement for the bus. If the reaction to the model on other Forums is anything to go by, the more affluent among us will be buying multiples of the model as there is so much scope for the scratchbuilder.
Old 29th December 2011, 22:30

Revell Routemaster

Hi Good Evening, I am a new member, but read your post with interest, I have just brought the new Revell kit and was wondering if anyone could help me with the underside colours.

I have been building Models for many years and build professionally for many outlets in the U.K and Europe.

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks Scania10
Old 29th December 2011, 22:56

Welcome, Scania10.

I don't do models any more, but there are members who can answer your questions.

I recommend kingsway john who can be found here:- http://www.truckandbusforum.com/gall...mages.php?c=11
Old 29th December 2011, 23:02

Routemaster

Good Evening thanks for the reply I will get in touch. Thanks again and Happy New Year Regards
Old 5th January 2012, 12:37

I just got the Haynes Routemaster Enthusiasts' Manual, ordered from Amazon UK yesterday. The price tends to change from day to day. As it was below £14 (£13.99) I ordered it. The RRP is £21.99 so not bad value.

This, I was surprised to see, consists of mostly colour photographs, with a fair number of examples of the RML featured (among others). There are colour pictures of the front and rear subframes which appear to be (most probably) a silvery colour (may be light grey I suppose). The book should prove useful in making the model.
Old 26th January 2012, 23:51

An excellent collection of photos of Revell RMLs under construction as well as prototype pictures can be found in this flickr group. [URL="http://www.flickr.com/groups/1893666@N22/"]
Old 8th February 2012, 21:22

Having found Amazon selling this at under £35 (free delivery as I already had Amazon Prime) so I went mad (somewhat!) and bought a second.

My intention is to convert the model into RMF1254. My main issue with this is a lack of photos of the interior. I have a through the door photo but it does not show the stairs.

I have a drawing of the original (I presume) configuration of the bus as H38/31F. I also have he EFE model of this which is made as an H41/31F.

Can anyone offer me any help on this?