Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
13:40
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum

Old 8th June 2014, 19:30

Choosing a hobby.

I have been at a Steam Traction Engine and Classic Vehicle rally today (and yesterday) and see familiar faces from other vehicle events.

One couple remarked that progress on the vehicle restoration vied for priority with their house maintenance.

Watching the vehicles leaving on their transporters (most with living accommodation attached) has prompted me to consider what vehicle I might choose.

Obviously the size of vehicle dictates whether a dedicated transporter is required - some simply tow a trailer caravan whilst a full-size traction engine needs a low-loader artic and may not have space for a 'box'.

Then there's the kudos of the exhibit - some choose bicycles or motorcycles - others agricultural tractors, then there's standard cars or trucks, miniature steam engines and full-size traction engines.

Cost (of acquiring/restoring) and cost of support vehicles and motorhome/caravan is also relevant.

My daughter and her husband show Clydesdale horses, so I have some idea of the support required.

What is a fact is that the people who attend these events as participants probably don't have time for more than one class of event (ie those who have horses don't also run traction engines).

I cannot decide - maybe I never will - having not acquired a hobby so far.

What do others fancy?
Old 10th June 2014, 10:08

Do you not consider participating in this forum a hobby, of sorts?
Old 10th June 2014, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdavey6(mobile) View Post
Do you not consider participating in this forum a hobby, of sorts?
I suppose so - I also send time on a couple of other forums (fora?) and choose to attend the occasional airshow and a few vehicle rallies.

It occupies my time in retirement.

I also participate in local 'government' (vocationally - not politically) and environmental activities - I spent a couple of hours yesterday pulling Himalayan balsam plants from the riverbank.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:28

Fora works for me.

Does that make a single plant Florum and a single animal Faunum?
Old 10th June 2014, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
I have been at a Steam Traction Engine and Classic Vehicle rally today (and yesterday) and see familiar faces from other vehicle events.

One couple remarked that progress on the vehicle restoration vied for priority with their house maintenance.

Watching the vehicles leaving on their transporters (most with living accommodation attached) has prompted me to consider what vehicle I might choose.

Obviously the size of vehicle dictates whether a dedicated transporter is required - some simply tow a trailer caravan whilst a full-size traction engine needs a low-loader artic and may not have space for a 'box'.

Then there's the kudos of the exhibit - some choose bicycles or motorcycles - others agricultural tractors, then there's standard cars or trucks, miniature steam engines and full-size traction engines.

Cost (of acquiring/restoring) and cost of support vehicles and motorhome/caravan is also relevant.

My daughter and her husband show Clydesdale horses, so I have some idea of the support required.

What is a fact is that the people who attend these events as participants probably don't have time for more than one class of event (ie those who have horses don't also run traction engines).

I cannot decide - maybe I never will - having not acquired a hobby so far.

What do others fancy?
I think that those of us who do not own an historic vehicle, who do not have the means to undertake restoration, or in my case the competance to do things mechanical, are in a position to enjoy all aspects of preservation and can bend our hobbies/interests to suit all aspects of the movement.

I am happy to take my photos, and if asked by an owner of a preserved vehicle or someone engaged in restoration to record their endeavours, I am in my element.

Many of the contributors to this and other 'fora' while possibly not owning a vehicle actually make a significant contribution by sharing their knowledge to the benefit of questioning owner, or to educate those like me who lack knowledge.

My hobbies of photography and video I believe are ideal for me and they allow me to enjoy preservation in a way that my pocket( and wife) would not!!!