Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
17:44
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Road Haulage Discussion

Old 3rd January 2020, 14:30

Cab repair

Hello everyone, just a quick one. When I watch videos of people repairing cabs for lorries they seem to lift the cab away from the actual vehicle and put it on the ground to work on it. Is there any particular reason for this? Why would you not leave it on and do work on it from a platform?
Old 5th January 2020, 17:10

In my experience it all depends on what repair work needs to be carried out. For most accident work then the cab is left in place and in most circumstances there is no need to remove it from the chassis. Possibly the videos that you refer to are when someone is carrying out a complete restoration job on a vintage vehicle.
In the transport World vehicles don't earn their keep siting in a workshop - so it's a case of get it fixed and get it out.
Old 9th January 2020, 09:47

Thanks for the feedback. As the focus is on speed of repair then; would there, in your opinion, be any use for an access platform that allows an operative to access the windscreen and upwards, as well as being able to go over the 5th wheel behind to access the back of the cab? Would this speed up any jobs? I look forward to your response.
Old 9th January 2020, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeancooper View Post
Thanks for the feedback. As the focus is on speed of repair then; would there, in your opinion, be any use for an access platform that allows an operative to access the windscreen and upwards, as well as being able to go over the 5th wheel behind to access the back of the cab? Would this speed up any jobs? I look forward to your response.
If you are able to get hold of a platform that defiantly would be handy. If you have ever seen them being used by mobile windscreen fitting companies then you will have a good idea of how useful they are.