Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
00:44
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Road Haulage Discussion

Old 12th September 2010, 14:01

Auckland Waterfront News.

I have just uploaded a few photos taken this afternoon on the docks here in Auckland.
Our containership was a bit late arriving and so as there was a ship discharging Soya Meal at the next wharf, I thought that I would nick over there and grab some sly photos. It is a quarantine area and I'm not supposed to be there, but, a guy's got to do what a guys got to do!!
The ship, the Clipper Izuma was discharging 8000 tonnes of soya meal from Brazil, destined for the Tegel chicken processing plant at Takanini, south of Auckland. About 20 bulk truck and trailer units were assigned to this and most appeared to be from out of town.
I have to admit to being quite surprised at the variety of trucks. I shall upload more tomoro as it is quite late here now,and I'm knackered, I need some sleep. Too much photography!.
Tomoro we receive the first of 8 shiploads of wind turbine blades and masts when the vessel "Happy River" berths.
The trucks are already on the berth waiting. I understand that the actual movement off the wharf, will be made about 1am each morning, so not sure yet just what I will be able to show you. But, rest assured I'll do my best.
I was a little surprised to see the trucks, a T cab Scania, very rare, and a very old Oshkosh, which I am sure dates back to the 70's with Dales Freightways.
I'm not complaining tho.

I did talk with quite a few of the drivers today, and let them know of this site, so hopefully we may get some more viewers.
I did have a chuckle tho when talking to an Alderson's driver. When I asked him what they ran, he replied Kenworths, Scanias and DAFs. I then asked him how he found them, and his reply was, "oh the DAF's are the definately the "poverty pack" ".

Rgds/Mike (hilifta)

Last edited by hilifta; 12th September 2010 at 14:23.
Old 12th September 2010, 15:10

Position of “Happy River” can be found here

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=PCAW

The “Happy River” main engine is a Wärtsilä 9L46B unit, with an output of 8,775kW (11,760bhp) at 550rpm. This is connected to a Renck Tacke HSU 1200 gearbox. It uses a Lips 5m-diameter four-bladed CP propeller and shaft.
Old 12th September 2010, 15:51

Greetings Mike, Thanks for the update on trucks and ships movements. Hope we will see a few ship photos on "Ships Nostalgia" also. (Ex Merchant Navy also).
Regards Pat.

Old 12th September 2010, 21:45

Thanks for your efforts, Highlifta (Mike).

Thanks also for your information, WesternSMT - much appreciated by me I assure you - I love technical information!

Last edited by G-CPTN; 12th September 2010 at 21:48.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:05

Hi all,

I spent some time this afternoon watching some of the blades coming off.

Firstly though, one comment, because these things are so long it is impossible to get good side shots, I just can't get back far enough!
Also, even though I work there, I have to be a little careful, and discrete, so getting the perfect picture is sometimes very hard.
But as there are eighty blades coming between now and next February, I should eventually get some better shots.
The trucks uploaded yesterday, the Tcab, and the Oshkosh will haul the 80 tonne turbine nacelles, and the 2 Scanias uploaded tonight will haul the blades.
The plan is once the ship is fully discharged they will take 2 blades and 2 turbines each night.
It will all be planned to leave the docks at 1am each night in convoy, to arrive at their destination before daybreak. They are heading for the new windfarm on the South Heads of the Manakau Harbour.
I had a "tap" of the blades, they really look quite beautiful with their aerodynamic shape and twist. It is hard to believe that they only weigh 10 tonnes.

Rgds/Mike
Old 13th September 2010, 14:23

I believe that the blades will be made from carbon fibre (the same material that they use to build Formula One cars) and may well be hollow. I'll see if I can find any further information about this.

Meanwhile I wonder if there is any publicity in you local media about the supplier.

There are long-established firms in Denmark (and maybe also Holland) but I'm surprised that there isn't a supplier nearer to NZ.
Those companies that have set up in the UK have struggled to survive I believe.

Maybe it's true that your part of the World is (several?) decades behind the UK?

Edited to add:-
http://www.windflow.co.nz/

Last edited by G-CPTN; 13th September 2010 at 14:43.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:10

According to Ships AIS the Happy River was logged off Lizard Point (Lands End) Cornwall on 11th August.

The Happy River is registered in the Netherlands:-
http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=244559000
Old 13th September 2010, 15:53

Afternoon gents, thanks for the info. I saw a documentary a few months ago on the making of these blades etc, and it was in a chinese factory. Not sure if they were only making them for their own market, but it was a very impressive complex. Sorry I have no more details.
Regards Pat.

Old 13th September 2010, 16:00

Checking back on the coordinates given on Western SMT's link the Happy River started from Antwerp on 10th August (having been there since 26th July) . . .
Old 13th September 2010, 16:18

Hi again guys. Just did a bit of cyber trawling, and found a company called "Quingdao Wind King" Wind Power Generator Co, Ltd. Checkout Made-in-China.com.
Another company called Suzlon Energy Ltd, India's biggest maker of Wind Turbine Generators has a plant in China. Along with General Electric Co. and other European rivals are introducing newer technology and opening factories in China.
Cheers Pat.