Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
17:24
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion

Old 7th February 2017, 18:53

Bedford MK Brake Bleeding

I have a 72 Bedford MK with 500 diesel and 5 speed box. Truck has been sitting a while (dry storage) and developed a burst brake pipe. Ive fixed the pipe but now cannot get the air or for that matter fluid to come through the system. I topped up the resevour with fluid (the one supplying front brakes) then opened the bleed nipples but cannot get fluid to come through. Ive tried pumping the pedal but with no success. I also tried jambing the brake pedal down and then opened the bleed nipple thinking it would gravity bleed but again no succes. Any thoughts or advice?
Old 7th February 2017, 19:57

I think the pedal needs to be UP if you want to bleed by gravity; it is the only time the reservoir is directly connected to the wheel cylinders.

What sort of braking system is it? Is it air/hydraulic (see picture) or vacuum/hydraulic? I'm guessing the former for a diesel-engined vehicle in which case pumping the pedal up and down will have no effect without air pressure in the tanks.

Bleeding by gravity alone is probably not practical due to the twists and turns in the pipework (especially front nearside).

There are various tools you can get that (slightly) pressurise the reservoir and these work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020865.JPG (100.7 KB, 1 views)

TK restoration blog: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...dford-tk.43480

Last edited by mylesdw; 7th February 2017 at 20:01.
Old 24th August 2017, 15:58

hi any ideas guys pls
went to bleed the brakes on appliance yesterday again as they didn't seem quiet right backs bled ok fronts wont bleed at all have checked t the reservoir end and none come out of the unit when you push down the pin inside the reservoir so not sure if that is faulty or how they fully work so i maybe thinking there is a problem with the reservoir when there isn't appliance dosent have hydrovac so all a bit confusing seems to be a blockage maybe for the the front brakes ??? she is a 6 cly petrol engine some one did say it may be the master cylinder thats faulty but back brakes bled ok and the reservoir emptied im guessing the front reservoir works independently in the cylinder she is air over hydraulic by way

cheers tom

Last edited by teachertom; 24th August 2017 at 17:16. Reason: wanted to add more
Old 31st August 2017, 23:42

I can't really understand your post with so little punctuation and I don't know what 'hydrovac' is. Can you explain further?

TK restoration blog: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...dford-tk.43480
Old 1st September 2017, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
I can't really understand your post with so little punctuation and I don't know what 'hydrovac' is. Can you explain further?
A Hydrovac is the name given to a vacuum assisted brake booster. Most T.K's would have had air over hydraulic brakes - but as this vehicle has a petrol engine it most likely has a vacuum assisted system.
It's been a long time since I last worked on a vehicle like this but I think the engine will have to be left running in order to bleed what ever system it has. Also if it has a Hydrovak the hydraulic side of this will need bleeding before bleeding the wheel cylinders. As already stated, my experience of these vehicles is very dated and it's all a bit hazy now. If I was actually there doing the job - no doubt it would all come back to me.
Old 6th January 2018, 21:33

bedford mk brake bleeding

as the master cylinder is a two compartment system you should start to bleed the system from the rear if the repair was at the front brakes, and at the front if the repair was to the rear wheels, starting with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder, obviously you will only get fluid from the wheels not under repair as no air has been allowed to enter that half of the system, then progress to the repaired section using the farthest wheel, this will have allowed the pressure to equalise in the master cylinder, and bleeding should be achieved