Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
00:34
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2012, 19:04

M62 closed because of snow.

Quote:
M62 closed and queueing traffic eastbound between J21, A640 (Milnrow) and J22, A672 (Rishworth Moor), because of a broken down lorry and snow.
Hope none of you were caught up in that.
Old 27th January 2012, 20:29

Luckily, not me. I was on the Eastern, flat, half of the M62 today. I did, however, see one wagon with snow on the trailer front. I also heard that there were similar problems on the A628, Woodhead Pass.
Old 27th January 2012, 20:51

A57 Derbyshire - A57 closed and hazardous driving conditions in both directions between Ladybower reservoir in High Peak and Royal Oak Inn, Glossop in Glossop, because of snow and ice.

A537 Cheshire - A537 Cat And Fiddle Road closed and hazardous driving conditions in both directions between the Bull-Hill-Lane junction in Macclesfield and the A54 junction in Derbyshire, because of ice and snow.

A54 Cheshire - The carriageway is just passable and hazardous driving conditions on A54 Holmes Chapel Road between the A34 West Road junction in Congleton and the A537 junction in Buxton, because of snow.

A628 South Yorkshire - Queueing traffic and hazardous driving conditions on A628 Woodhead Pass in both directions between Flouch roundabout in Langsett and Gun Inn traffic lights in Mottram in Longdendale, because of snow.

A6024 West Yorkshire - Hazardous driving conditions and queueing traffic on A6024 Holme Moss / Woodhead Road between the A635 Greenfield Road junction in Holmfirth and the A628 Woodhead Pass junction in Torside Reservoir, because of snow.
Old 27th January 2012, 23:17

Thankfully no problems with snow over here.

Me and Suzie just have to contend with frost and icy roads.
Old 27th January 2012, 23:39

Radio interview on BBCR5 just now suggesting that there are 'many' trucks parked-up on M62 with drivers 'out of hours'.

What does the law say about this situation?

It isn't permitted to 'stop' on a motorway (though I realise they were forced to stop), but can the truckers be forced to 'move on' when it's possible to do so, or can they claim that they can't?
Old 28th January 2012, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
Radio interview on BBCR5 just now suggesting that there are 'many' trucks parked-up on M62 with drivers 'out of hours'.

It isn't permitted to 'stop' on a motorway (though I realise they were forced to stop), but can the truckers be forced to 'move on' when it's possible to do so, or can they claim that they can't?
Well, in Sweden drivers never drive longer than allowed, because of the fine. I don't think anyone can order them to do something that later can give them a fine. But that's in sweden and we don't have any snow problems for the moment (we have snow in some parts (not here) but no problems)
Old 28th January 2012, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post

They can claim Article 12. I'm not sure of the exact wording but, basically, it says that you can go to a suitable/safe place. For example, if you passed one services, with enough time to drive to the next one, within your hours but, that there was a (unknown about) stoppage in between then, you could continue to drive for a reasonable time after.
You need to make a note on the rear of the card ASAP after. Something along the lines of "M62 closed R.T.A. J22/J23 excess hours to safe parking". I also make a (bigger) note in my diary. Just in case.