Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
00:35
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is your favourite unit 1970 to present day.
DAF. 8 19.51%
M.A.N. 4 9.76%
Scania. 9 21.95%
Volvo. 10 24.39%
Renault. 3 7.32%
Mercedes. 3 7.32%
Iveco. 1 2.44%
Foden. 0 0%
Atkinson. 0 0%
ERF. 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th September 2008, 20:47
Super Moderator

Favourite modern day units.

What units did you like the best, lets say from 1970 to present day. I have set up a poll for you to vote. All the best.
birdforum.net
Old 30th September 2008, 21:12

Well,lets see. Not a tractor unit but I inherited an AEC MK5 in 1970,6-speed box,690 engine,CAV fuel pump and it was a flyer,ex Cawoods Fuel Oils.
After several Mandators I got a TL12 engined Marathon PCL 553R and that motor didn't half earn me some brass
When I came off tankers and onto the Littlewoods contract in 1979 after a host of Scania 81s I got a Seddon-Atki with the 240 Gardner and Fuller box and that was another good tool.Then onto the ultimate motor,in those days,the Ford Transcontinental on drawbar work with the 290 Cummins and 13-speed Fuller and I was sorry to see it go - especially as I was given a Scania 82M in place of it
I came off the road in 1986 and went shunting but after being made redundant in 1994 I went back on tankers for a few months and had the best motor of the lot - an ERF E14 with the Eaton Twin-splitter box - I always liked the Cummins/Fuller combination.
I've driven several other wagons -Albions,Leylands,all AEC models from MK3 uppards,a three-axle Foden with the 280 RR, Scanias,Volvos,Bedfords-TK,KM and the TM with the Detroit Diesel but the ones mentioned above are the motors I remember best.

Having looked at the poll list I know where I'm putting my cross.

Last edited by Mandator; 30th September 2008 at 21:17.
Old 1st October 2008, 07:39

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 UXU View Post
What units did you like the best, lets say from 1970 to present day. I have set up a poll for you to vote. All the best.
Well done for setting up the poll
Old 1st October 2008, 22:50
Super Moderator

No problem Tonga, the vote is pretty even at the moment. All the best.
birdforum.net
Old 4th October 2008, 08:48
Super Moderator

Good morning all, please take a look at the poll and have a vote, it will be interesting to see what the end result will be. All the best.
birdforum.net
Old 5th October 2008, 15:23

favorite units

what about the SPANISH BARRIOS we had them at mortans in coventry 1980s way ahead of head of the game,stright6 turbo and a radio.
Old 5th October 2008, 22:47
Super Moderator

I could only put on a maximum of ten choices, I did think of a few more types but put down what I thought where the ten most numerous on the road in the UK. And the poll has I thought is very close. All the best.
birdforum.net
Old 6th October 2008, 02:59

Thumbs up Love those European cab-overs.

I really love the European COE's (cab over engine). It's too bad they never caught on (or were even introduced) in the USA. The maneuverability of COE's is amazing.
Unfortunately, American's like their big hoods. The bigger the better. The Peterbilt 379 Extended Hood; Kenworth W900; Mack Superliner, etc.
I really like the looks of your COE's. Their sleek, modern, with a short wheelbase and still have a usable sleeper.
I've driven Mack, Freightliner and Kenworth cab-overs.
We still have some good conventionals, with a shorter wheelbase and shorter hood. My favorite for an easily maneuverable (short wheelbase), livable (stand-up sleeper), safe and has a short hood, would have to be Volvo.

TRUCKING! IT'S NOT JUST A JOB, IT'S AN ADVENTURE!
Old 11th October 2008, 23:14
Super Moderator

Well the Volvo lads have taken the lead by three clear votes and I must admit the Volvo has always been my favourite. Keep the votes coming. All the best.
birdforum.net
Old 11th October 2008, 23:39

Does the poll result reflect actual experience (and therefore favour the more popular makes) or is it perception (by people who may not have tried other makes)?
I don't pretend that the smaller manufacturers are automatically better (or inferior) to the mainline models. Nor do I deny that a major producer might be less well equipped or developed than its rivals (and I realise that the survey is 'just a bit of scuttlebutt, furphy or bar-room chat').
Only back-to-back appraisals (as, indeed, we used to do with our competitors' models) can produce meaningful results.
IMO it would be interesting to record how many of the voters drive (and have driven) more than one of the subject vehicles on a regular basis.

I cannot contribute, as it is many years since I have driven regularly, and no doubt, recent models bear little resemblance to those with which I was familiar. Nevertheless I wouldn't disagree with the general distribution of the results (with, perhaps, the exception of a couple of 'underperformers') though the sample sizes are very small.