Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
14:16
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion

Old 7th September 2017, 09:40

Leyland Daf 4x4

I am the new owner of a Leyland Daf 45/150 4x4 which I'm in the process of converting. I've not made a great start by losing the key! As its ex-army I cant get a key number and replacement blocks aren't easily available, so I've decided to fit a replacement ignition.

It has been a few months since I started it so I thought I'd hot wire it, to check the wiring and turn it over. And it wont start. The alarm for the airbrakes I've left sqealing for an hour and the pressure dials aren't moving. The batteries are fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 8th September 2017, 01:12

Maybe I'm missing something here but surely you won't get air pressure without the engine running.

TK restoration blog: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...dford-tk.43480
Old 8th September 2017, 10:15

No you're right. I only drove it a couple of times and its my first encounter with air brakes...

The buzzer keeps going till the pressure is up. Brown is positive, white is the obvious first turn of the key, battery light etc., green and white powers the wipers, so that has to be staying in the circuit after ignition. Red and white draws enough voltage to effect the buzzer and dash lights but its a high speed ratcheting sound, or a switch opening and closing rapidly, not the sound of a 24v starter motor. There's no starter switch on the dash, I'm not being stupid in that way...
Old 11th September 2017, 04:55

White with a red stripe is probably the starter solenoid wire (if Bedford were following BS wiring loom colours ) Maybe a faulty solenoid giving the buzzing sound?

TK restoration blog: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...dford-tk.43480
Old 14th October 2017, 13:48

Thanks for your help. In the end I took the shear bolts out and took the whole thing into a locksmith who made keys up for it. Got a replacement starter which I'm going to work on today.