Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
13:39
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th September 2009, 13:00

Coventry Transport

Hello everyone, well I wonder if anyone on here has an interest in Coventry Corporation Transport before 1974 when WMPTE got involved. Could you let me know please, I would be very interested to hear from you.
Sadly you see, Coventry Transport buses that are around to day in preservation or privately owned are never or very rarely seen at classic bus shows, the owners seem very reluctant to show them off, which is a shame because Coventry Transport had a lot of history, especially after the city suffered the blitz of world war 2, the morning after that terrible blitz the buses that survived were running a service. Also of course CCT had a large fleet and of course before the buses there were the Coventry Trams. I do not know much about trams, but they were part of the city until the bus came along.So anyone that knows about Coventry Transport or has an interest in it, please contact me. Thank you.

sandylane.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:42

Four shots of 1958 Coventry Daimler of de Courceys here.

http://davidsphotos.digimig.co.uk/c1573970_25.html

and some video of it both static and mioving here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL-ah...e=channel_page

Both were taken at the Trinity Guild RFC family fun day in May. (Next to Cov Airport)

The bus was also at Johnsons Coachescentenary celebrations on Sept 20.

And coventry Museums Daimler
http://davidsphotos.digimig.co.uk/p61320109.html
Old 15th October 2009, 23:18

It's a bit late in the day saying this, but I was briefly involved with the Midland Omnibus Preservation Society, based in Birmingham. In our early days, we got our hands on an ex-Coventry CVA6, GKV 94. I THINK it was owned by a firm called Smiths of Long Itchington. I don't know what became of it, but I believe that another preservation body got their hands on it.
Old 16th October 2009, 07:59

This one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertsbite/2169112772/
Old 16th October 2009, 09:29

Thanks for that, Western. At least someone took over where we 'left off'. Although the photo was taken in 1997, I think we can assume that it's still safely preserved.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Thanks for that, Western. At least someone took over where we 'left off'. Although the photo was taken in 1997, I think we can assume that it's still safely preserved.
I will keep my eyes peeled for it. I was at Wythall last Sunday and saw a Daimler CVG6 that I had not seen before.
http://davidsphotos.digimig.co.uk/p61518500.html

It has been recently restored to it's original livery having spent time as a playbus.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:36

GKV 94 does not appear on the registration database.
Of course it might still exist and be untaxed.

Do pre-1973 buses qualify for zero-rated classic vehicle VED (road-tax)?

http://www.cwk205.com/download/file....250799a18b713f

Also:-
Quote:
Bus 94 would definatly have been the one that you saw at Birdingbury Peter, as an old CCT enthusiast (who later became a good friend of mine) also saw it there and he got chatting to some other friends of mine, who were with it there that day ! It would have been owned by a guy called Eric Bunker at the time when you saw it, but he has since sold it on and it is now owned by a guy who i haven't actually met at all yet, but his name is Roger Burdett. From what i've heard about him, he sounds like a great guy and he owns a number of preserved buses, all of which he has spared no expence in getting them restored properly and to the best possible standard that he can ! Bus 94 is now his current project for restoration and i have every confidence in him making sure that the finished product will be pure perfection !!! He has been given a Portfolio of 94, to help with its restoration and to show how it looked during its time in service, as a few little things on it have been slightly altered over the years and need to be rectified, but this might hopefully be done now ? It did later on, get stored under cover up in Staffordshire, but i think it is now away being worked somewhere up in Derbyshire ?
As for having 94 for your Wedding, i love the idea, but if i personally don't end up getting married, then i might just have it used later on for my Funeral, as the Coffin could be shoved onto the rear platform, with the head part going underneath the staircase !!!LOL. How 94 would get through the gates at the London Road Cemetary, i don't know ???

Last edited by G-CPTN; 16th October 2009 at 12:42.
Old 16th October 2009, 14:01

First reg 28/7/1950 and last taxed in 2004
Old 14th November 2009, 12:59

Gkv 94

According to Buses Restored 2009 GKV 94 is now with the Roger Burdett Collection at Fir Tree Farm off Common lane Cordley Moor Coventry I have uploaded a picture into Buses pre 1980 section
Old 14th November 2009, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjfarmer View Post
According to Buses Restored 2009 GKV 94 is now with the Roger Burdett Collection at Fir Tree Farm off Common lane Cordley Moor Coventry I have uploaded a picture into Buses pre 1980 section
Very interesting, knowing Rogers dedication and devotion to bus preservation I would imagine it's in the best possible hands.