Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
20:27
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2009, 16:53

Getting back to the truck drivers strike, it very quickly demonstrated, the vital nature of the road haulage industry to this country, both general and own account. If it happened today, I am not sure if it would bite quicker or slower, with the advent of the Just in time, (JIT) principle widely adopted in the food industry.
The number of days, that the big supermarkets could carry on providing much of their range, especially chilled and fresh ranges, without replenishment, could be counted twice or three times over on one hand, I reckon, especially with the inevitable panic buying that would follow any hint of action.
Old 8th January 2009, 19:50

The Western economies are highly dependent upon a profit-driven "just-in-time" re-supply chain that is extremely vulnerable to interruption of distribution.

Squirrels "panic buy" nuts for every winter.
It's natural to hoard something you think will be in short supply soon.
Panic buying is nothing new. In the seventies there was only a 'rumour' of a sugar shortage, everybody bought sugar and it caused a major shortage, naturally the price of sugar went up.

Everyone has experienced times of going without and will do whatever is necessary to avoid those times again.
No one knew how long the fuel crisis would last and it is obvious that those who had the fuel would have been at a clear advantage compared to others.
Old 8th January 2009, 22:18

Totally agree with all that, it was an observation on the panic buying, not a criticism.
It is one thing to share what you have. It is totally different position to have nothing of or for your own.
I would take reasonable steps to have some sort of extra buffer, and have done previously. In fact on a day by day, week by week basis, we always have stocks of longer life foodstuffs, clean empty containers for storing water, a generator, with some fuel, candles, torches, batteries, etc. etc. etc. It is no more than is prudent, the foods are rotated by first in first used natural rotation and it is better to have contingency arrangements in ones family life, than to go under at the first crisis.

Here endeth. for now
Old 26th April 2009, 14:25

Send a message via Skype™ to done it
Smile drivers strilke

hi. i remember the drivers strike i worked for ferrymasters in southampton at the time. and because we were getting a better rate of pay .we were allowed to work. as long as we paid the union 10 pounds to help those who where on stike. i never heard of anybody getting the 10 pounds. i think some of the top boys in the twu union made a lot of money . been retired 5 years . now living in spain for the last 4 years

Last edited by done it; 26th April 2009 at 14:29. Reason: correcting
Old 26th April 2009, 14:39

Don't get me started on the CROOKED BROTHERS.
I and many others paid into a 'Loss of Licence' policy, which they changed the terms of, without directly notifying me and others, unless you count an article in a newsletter, which headlined a new injury payment for bus drivers, which I did not read, sadly I found, when I went to claim for losing my licence on health grounds, some years later, they had hidden the reduction and loss of benefit for drivers over 60, in that article, thereby duping many into continuing to pay for a benefit, they were no longer entitled to.

It is certainly not only MP's with their noses in the trough.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:16

I remember that 1979 strike well.All our drivers were in the URTU and were getting a higher rate anyway.We did however have to get dispensation forms from the T and G office in Sheffield to show pickets,especially outside the NCB (Thomas Ness) refinery at Manvers Colliery,Wath on Dearne.We had pickets outside our depot but they soon went away.
Attached is a copy of the dispensation order mentioned.There is a list of vehicle registration numbers on the right but we had far more vehicles than the ones shown.We didn't run much new stuff either as you can see,anybody remember A.E.Evans tankers from Barking and Sheffield - nearly all AECs? Sorry about the quality of the copy and also the spidery T and G writing.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/scan0070.jpg

Chris.
Old 20th February 2011, 17:54

Strike in 1979

I remember the srike well as I was on a picket line @ Liverpool docks, and believe me it was no picnic in the middle of winter, stood round a 50 gal. drum burning old pallets / wood etc.!

Most of the drivers we spoke to were collecting for food companies and animal feed and flour mills etc. who incidentally we did not stop from collecting goods, as we were told by the union full time officials, that we were under no circumstances to stop any food loads being collected for any of the companies who required them.

Legally we could only stop and ask drivers to support the strike as we were told by the port police of what we could and could not do, when asking drivers to stop and give their support!

Yes we did get the £1.00 an hour rise we wanted but at what cost to us and the hauliers concerned ?
Old 21st October 2011, 19:41

I remember it very well, I worked for Herrings of Hartlepool at the time on class1 general haulage, I was leaving in the February to move South, but I had no choice, I had to join the strike.
I was moving south because there was no future for my son and two daughters at Hartlepool, they were only 8, 9 and and twelve at the time and although we were all born and bred there, my wife and I felt we had to move to give the kids a better chance, I had no job to go to and because of the strike we were almost destitute, I'd never been out of work until then and it was one hell of a struggle but it was worth it, we all ended up with better jobs than we would ever have back home, (and we're still here!) Our move south had been planned for months.
The strike ended four days before we moved South, I will never forget that strike!
Old 16th January 2012, 18:17

Hi to you all i more than remember it i was in it at the deep end with 3 young children at the time we were out over christmas i was working for MOTONS BRS AT THE TIME 100% UNION, you either went with it or you left, it was most of the dock areas, car factorys anywhere where there was allready strong union- presance shop stewards used to meet at the LOCAL meetings and vote [they were all mates] at coventry . with the big men who run the factorys and the "drivers stewards" thinking they would back us and stop production ,yes ,but not for long... we got sold down the river. ..the months over - years that we never crossed a picket line ,at docks.car plans ,massy fergurson - and they hung us out to dry.we had 10weeks at mortons OUT then bless the union we got made REDUNDANT in feb 1980. ieven forget what we wanted i think it was £5 A HOUR [NOT SURE ,However it turned out the best for me i quit any type of union-changed my BRS attertude [im not doing that etc,,we used to run at 22mile an hour,not speed every 22mile we did we got a hours pay .