Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
23:08
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Off-Topic > Computers & the Internet

Old 12th January 2009, 20:57

Windows 7

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7825111.stm
Old 13th January 2009, 01:37

Looks very good ive started downloading it. 2.44gig comes as an iso file so has to be wrote as an iso bootable dvd disc.

ive got a spare partition so i may trile it. Beta licence runs out oct 2009,has to be purchased thereafter.

many thanks Western smt ,i had not even heard of it.
Old 13th January 2009, 02:09

Let us know what spec computer you are using (and how it works - ie what speed it achieves).
What OS are you using now?
Old 13th January 2009, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
Let us know what spec computer you are using (and how it works - ie what speed it achieves).
What OS are you using now?
Its a pc i built from NITEX computer fair parts myself,
windows xp.
3000 athlon cpu 2.21ghz.
msi kt 400 motherboard.
1 gig ddr 333 pc 2700.
420 wat powersupply.
nvidia 6600gt grafix card agp.
msi cd writer.
dvd writer-cant remember make.
silver atx case.
80gig seagate harddrive partitioned C:\ 20gig XP os. G:\ 60gig storage,at present,this is were i will try Windows 7 beta os.
D:\ 120gig seagate harddrive storage.

its a 2004-5 spec pc, nowt flash really.

Time i upgraded really but it seems to cope with what i use it for.

Last edited by les turnbull; 21st January 2009 at 16:09.
Old 13th January 2009, 02:37

Its a bit of a suprise to see a new windows operating system released so soon after vista.
Old 13th January 2009, 20:03

Vista had a lot of compatability issues and was not a popular OS with a lot of people sticking to XP if possible.
Vista reminds me of windows ME, a stopover OS that bridges XP and the next big thing, which Microsoft hope will be this Windows 7.
Old 13th January 2009, 20:12

It's big that depresses me and puts me off Microsh@ft.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:00

Windows 7 ultimate beta.

Ive been up and running on windows 7 ultimate beta since sunday 18 1 09 and im quite impressed at the moment , programs and folders and pictures are opening quicker, start up time is under 1.5 mins ,shut down is 50 seconds compared with 3 mins plus for my old windows xp. Internet explorer 8 seems quite a bit faster than 7 .
Theres a new paint which i havent messed with yet.
Theres a new thing called snipping tool which will take a crop of any picture even the desktop wallpaper,its very handy actually.
Theres also a new thing called mediacentre which is more for gogglebox addicts i think.
Ive run the windows defragmenter and found it slow ,i will probably install my diskeeper 9 its faster and visually shows you the state of the files and paging file areas.
ive instaled the free avast antivirus and it works fine.
Only faults ive had so far have been messenger has signed itself out a couple of times and a higher than usual ping when playing counterstrike online.

Reguards les.

Last edited by les turnbull; 21st January 2009 at 16:02.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:22

Hi Les, who is doing the impressing now?.

The composition and workings of a computer station are a complete mystery to me, I struggle, just using it day to day.

I have Vista Home Premium, and have had for two years. There were a lot of compatibility problems early on, but they have sent continual updates and some patches, and it is pretty trouble free now. Although, I do get freeze ups on my genealogy sites,repeatedly lately, but I am convinced that this is due to commercial greed, because they have both gone 'pop up advert' greedy, 'advertiamania' I have christened it. Every new selection one makes, one has to wait whilst the animated advert loads, before the page one wants, follows.

It sounds as though you have downloaded this operating system, Windows 7, and have compartmentalised it on your hard disc. Does this mean that everything you have and do on your computer is available on both systems, giving you the ability to switch back and forward between them at the click of a key, with all files etc, being simultaneously updated on both systems??.

Should I not dabble?. I am a technophobe with this stuff.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:24

At startup im given the choise to boot to windows 7 or Xp .It has a 15 second countdown so if i dont select one it then boots to 7.

There are free software downloads that will create a partition within your existing partition. I Think u might be able to partition your drive with computer management in vista though i cant be certain. dont do it if u have less than 10gig free as 7 takes up about 8 gig, ish. after u have created the partition u will have to format the new partition in ntfs file type.
U should get away with a 20 -25gig partition min, remembering that this beta expires oct 29 2009 and is not upgradeble according to microsoft.

Then download windows 7 beta from windows ,2.44gig iso.

THIS NEXT PART IS ALL DONE WITH XP RUNNING,

Then what i did was download and install magicdisk which is a virtual drive software,then mounted the 7 iso in the magicdisc virtual drive , then in { MY COMPUTER tab } a extra drive appears next to your cd and hard drive C , called iso, Doubleclick it and the windows 7 beta install page opens,click install and it detects your harddrives and on mine it highlited the empty 60gig partition i had ready for the install, then it takes about 50 mins before it needs any input from you ,like cd key which u are sent to your email at signup and download.

Yes all my existing files and operatin systems are intact.
reguards Les.

Last edited by les turnbull; 21st January 2009 at 17:59.