Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
21:28
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Todays Road Haulage Fleets

Old 13th September 2008, 04:39

What's left?

A few years ago you could drive up any motorway and the trucks you saw pretty much all had a distinctive livery telling you which company they were running under. BRS, Eurolane, TNT, Stobbarts or whatever. Now, I haven't been back to the UK for a while but was talking to a friend who came out here and he was saying that nowadays there are as many European trucks on British roads as there are British trucks. Is that right? What British companies are left?
Old 13th September 2008, 04:45

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Think the French/Belgian company "Norbert Dentrasang" has a few on British roads now
Old 13th September 2008, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Think the French/Belgian company "Norbert Dentrasang" has a few on British roads now

He's also known as "Nobrot Dressingtable" billy.Norbert Dentrassangle I heard was a relative or good friend of the French Minister of Transport and I think had a big depot at Le Havre.He started operating in the UK years ago and is a big performer still as far as I know.
As far as purely British companies are concerned then Wincanton,Eddie Stobart,Turners of Soham are three I can think of.Any more will come to me eventually - memories going.
I think the biggest operator in the UK now is DHL - an offshoot of Lufthansa.somebody will correct me I'm sure.Oh,another big Deutschlander operating over here is Willi Betz,how could I forget him.

Now,where did I put that glass?

Last edited by Mandator; 13th September 2008 at 20:33.
Old 13th September 2008, 23:38

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Mandator: Shhhhhhh! it was a "dressingtable" i went over with. we went across on the ferry and came back through the tunnel.
No names, no packdrill but it was a day i will remember always. what an impressive rig that was. not so fast but loads of power and comfort. dropped one gear climbing up out of dover on that motorway bank. with the two of us aboard we even managed to brew tea on the way up the motorway. and the cab was so quiet we were chatting all the way.
8/9 years ago now, but what a day out for me
Old 8th October 2008, 23:06

I think DHL belongs to the German Post Office. Here in Scotland we have WH Malcolm,Pollock Scottrans, AA Craib, Highland Haulage, MacPhersons of Aberlour all are fairly big operators.There are several others but there names escape me just now.
In Skye probaly our biggest haulier is Skye Transport formerly MacRae(Crossall). Other frequent visiting companies are DR MacLeod, MacAskill(Stornoway) and Hebrides Haulage.
Every Sunday 2 of Harry Lawsons tankers pass through on their way to Uig to catch the ferry to Lochmaddy.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:52

On the subject of Harry Lawson, I had 6 of his artics into the warehouse I run in late July/August with pallets of new furniture for a development of student accomodation down here in Exeter. The drivers were diplomats in their trade(and Lawson's) and made the process of tipping them a good experience. Looked as though they were well maintained vehicles too.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:55

Harry Lawsons tanker comes to Scrabster and fuels up the ferry to Orkney
Old 13th December 2008, 05:07

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Over here we have Gwynedd Shipping which is a big operator.

BTW, I have noticed one or two Eddie Stobart wagons on the motorway with foreign number plates (Belgian, I think.) Has he got a depo over there, or ????
Old 21st December 2008, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie View Post
Over here we have Gwynedd Shipping which is a big operator.

BTW, I have noticed one or two Eddie Stobart wagons on the motorway with foreign number plates (Belgian, I think.) Has he got a depo over there, or ????
Belgian is one. Polish is another. Not sure if he has depots in those countries, but guess it's very likely.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:47

One in Belgium

http://www.eddiestobart.co.uk/Servic...pe/Lokeren.php