Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
23:45
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Old 9th December 2013, 21:56

Hi from TL owner!

Hello everyone and thanks for having me on the forum.

I have a 1985 Bedford TL with PJK body. It is an ex-mobile library van. I lived in it for years, and for the last few years have been staying in it midweek to save a long commute to work. It has been my home and my recording studio, and I love it.

It hasn't turned a wheel in anger for 11 years.
When I had to move it from its previous home, I had it taken ten miles on a low-loader for £350.

I have to move it again by Easter.
Only this time I'd like to take it to its final resting place in mid-France.
At the above rate this would cost me about £21,000!

So unless I can find a caravan mover to move it (much) more cheaply for me, it may well be time to get it on the road properly.
The engine (5.7 turbo diesel) starts and runs, which is a good start.
But the air brakes jam on as soon as there is enough pressure in the air tank and I have to release them by operating the air doors. So brakes are either very firmly on, or non-existent.

I have no idea what else has perished and/or needs doing to get her back on the road.
Does anyone know someone in the Somerset area who might be able to have a look and give me a more expert view on it please?

Many thanks for reading and understanding that I don't want to part with my lovely van.

Warm wishes
Mark
Old 10th December 2013, 10:43

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Hi Mark.

A very warm welcome from the sunny Isle of Anglesey. I'm sure someone on the forum (maybe our resident Vauxhall/Bedford expert) might be able to help you with your problem.

Hmm, a recording studio you say? Sounds interesting!

Testing, but give us a try: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
Old 10th December 2013, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Misrule View Post
I have to release them by operating the air doors.
Welcome to Truck and Bus Forum, Mark.

I don't understand what you mean by 'doors'.

If the brakes are locked on it sounds like the fault lies with the parking brake control. Maybe this is interlocked with the 'doors'?

Finding a way of disconnecting the supply to the doors (if that is what the problem is) might resolve your problem.

There should be separate supplies for the service brakes and the parking brake - what do the gauges show?

A Bedford PJK is a bus/coach chassis (formerly known as VAS) and not a TL truck chassis - and would be more likely for a mobile library. The J indicates a six-cylinder 330 cu in diesel engine - a good reliable engine which should provide adequate power.

The problem with your brakes mean that you need a mechanic that can visit the vehicle (unless you get it transported).

Any competent air-brake engineer should be able to locate and identify the fault. Try contacting your nearest truck dealer and see if they can recommend one of their mechanics who would be prepared to come out and 'have a look'.

Alternatively look in your local paper and see what there is or talk to local truck or coach operator (many do their own servicing - at least emergency breakdowns).
In fact I would look for a small local coach operator first - at least they could tell you who does their repairs.
See here for coach operators near Frome:- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fr...FoaRhQeJ9IC4Cg

The VAS / PJK is much-favoured by (new age) 'travellers' (not the wealthy Irish ones) so if you have a site near you (Glastonbury?) you could ask them what they do when they have problems with their air systems.

See here for travellers' PJKs:- http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?s=189

Last edited by G-CPTN; 10th December 2013 at 11:02.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:11

Crown Tours of Frome used to run PJK/VAS coaches, so they should have someone who can help you:-
http://whotalking.com/flickr/PJK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40381926@N05/7920226092

I don't know if they are still trading (or what their current name might be) - ask one of the current coach operators . . .

Edited to add:-
Quote:
Fields took Crown over in 1983
Quote:
C H Field Ltd t/as Ashleigh Coaches of Paulton took over the business of Crown Tours of Frome in 1982.
See here:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/49899125@N03/7582291640/

Last edited by G-CPTN; 10th December 2013 at 11:19.
Old 11th December 2013, 17:30

Hmm, a recording studio you say? Sounds interesting![/QUOTE]

Thanks Chris.
yup, and here's pictorial proof!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the van as recording studio1.jpg (103.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th December 2013, 17:37

thanks so much for all the valuable information and help.
I'll see what/who I can find to help me out.
by doors, I mean the folding doors on the side of my van that are operated by a switch and use the same compressed air as the brakes to function.
I was quite shocked to find a picture of my van on Travellers Homes: http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?p=10015
I guess Gary Conway has a very keen eye!
I'll see if I can put an artier pic or two up on here...

all the best
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the van1.jpg (68.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg the van2.jpg (41.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg the van3.jpg (66.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th December 2013, 18:49

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Misrule View Post
Hmm, a recording studio you say? Sounds interesting!
Thanks Chris.
yup, and here's pictorial proof![/QUOTE]

Many thanks for that Mark, very interesting. Any recordings you want aired (albeit slightly low key currently) you know where to send them!

Testing, but give us a try: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
Old 11th December 2013, 19:12

The air supply and storage circuit for the brakes should be 'protected' (by a protection valve) and shouldn't be affected by the doors. This is a legal requirement, so you have a problem there.

The air reservoir that stores the service-brake air should fill (and stay filled) before any air is available to the auxiliaries such as the doors - unless someone has broken-in to the circuit and changed things. Likewise you should have footbrake air independent of the parking brake (hold-off) air - though a safety measure can be to bring on the parking brakes (which are held off by springs) when the air supply to the service brake falls below a certain value.

I'm trying to fathom what your problem is - the brakes themselves are hydraulic (though air-activated). There should be non-return valves on the storage tanks that should 'protect' the stored air and prevent it from being depleted by auxiliaries such as the doors.

Exhausting the door air shouldn't stop the service brakes from working (a legal requirement).

It seems a shame that, whilst the engine runs and can obviously supply air to operate the doors you nevertheless cannot drive the vehicle as your brakes don't work. Of course there can be other things than lack of air preventing the brakes working (such as lack of hydraulics).

You definitely need a fleet engineer to look at your vehicle and give you a diagnosis before you spend megabucks transporting it.

As I suggested, seek out local transport operators (preferably coach operators that would have used medium-sized vehicles with air/hydraulic brakes) and see if they have someone who could come and look at your vehicle in situ.

There may be panels on the floor that give access to the reservoirs and the valves that should protect the air from escaping.
Old 11th December 2013, 19:30

that's really kind Chris. I'm listening to your station at the moment - owzat!

the old recordings are all accessible from lordsofmisrule.co.uk, the new uns are still at the demo stage. hoping to get back to them before the winter's out and before I have to move my van!

best of luck with Cable962!
Mark
Old 11th December 2013, 19:33

Thanks again G-CPTN.
Everything you have said makes perfect sense. It felt like a pretty serious problem when I had to drive it down the farmyard, onto the low-loader and then into a different farmyard!
I'll find someone to have a look, and I'll keep you posted with any news.
I really appreciate your intelligent and knowledgeable help.
all the best
Mark