Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
08:49
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion

Old 13th August 2013, 18:20

1980 Leyland Titan

Hi.
I am new to the world of vintage buses and I am sure a 1980 bus may not be considered by many as a vintage bus. However, I am looking at buying one. A 1980 Leyland Titan and it will be my first bus!
I wonder if anyone on here has any experience with this bus.
I am led to believe it is an automatic gearbox? However, this bus has no first gear, or rather the first gear does not work. The seller has assured me that this has been the case since he owned it and that it has never caused him a problem. I just wonder if any of you good people have an opinion on that? Does that sound okay, or should I steer clear and look elsewhere?
I have a friend who drives buses for a living and he told me to steer clear, but the seller insists its fine.
Any thoughts on this and any other thoughts on this bus will be very gratefully recieved.
Many thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 18:37

All that I know:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_Titan_%28B15%29
Old 13th August 2013, 18:41

More here:- http://www.londonbusmuseum.com/museu...and-titan-t23/

and here:- http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/uk...n/message/2987

Last edited by G-CPTN; 13th August 2013 at 18:50.
Old 13th August 2013, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
Hi.
I am new to the world of vintage buses and I am sure a 1980 bus may not be considered by many as a vintage bus. However, I am looking at buying one. A 1980 Leyland Titan and it will be my first bus!
I wonder if anyone on here has any experience with this bus.
I am led to believe it is an automatic gearbox? However, this bus has no first gear, or rather the first gear does not work. The seller has assured me that this has been the case since he owned it and that it has never caused him a problem. I just wonder if any of you good people have an opinion on that? Does that sound okay, or should I steer clear and look elsewhere?
I have a friend who drives buses for a living and he told me to steer clear, but the seller insists its fine.
Any thoughts on this and any other thoughts on this bus will be very gratefully recieved.
Many thanks
I worked on lots of Titans during my time at London Buses subsidiary Westlink and my advice to anyone thinking of buying one is DON'T. The gearbox which was a Leyland Hydraclylic, will give you no end of problems and it sounds like this one has already got major troubles. The next problem is the brakes, if will either have the same system as an R.M of be a miss mash of full air rears with air over hydraulic fronts. Again they are trouble and need constant attention, next problem is the rear sub frame assembly known as the 'torque box' very prone to cracking and the frame over the rear entrance doors also has an alarming habit of breaking away. Add to this overheating, and electrical faults and that just about sums up a Leyland Titan. I think a lot of 1970s to early 1980s buses of all makes had problems, with the last versions of the 'Metrobus' MCW had just about got it right. The only thing I will say in favour of the Titan that with it's torsion bar front suspension and when the gearbox pressures were set up correctly it was nice bus to drive.