Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
00:48
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2008, 16:48

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I used to have a Cobra 148 (and it's close relative the Superstar 360), one of the very best. Then again, there weren't many radios I didn't own at one stage or another back then
Had a Superstar 360 as well. Don't know where that one went!!
Old 20th November 2008, 16:55

Aye, before they became really popular over here and you just couldn't get the long distances as easily as you could before. I used to speak to someone in Caernarfonshire when I first started, then we lost contact as the airwaves became busy. Then the night before the introduction of the "Legal" frequencies, all was quiet on AM and I could contact Caernarfonshire again. This was before we had the 5/8ths!
Old 21st November 2008, 10:53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie View Post
Had a Superstar 360 as well. Don't know where that one went!!
I think that was the one with the legal 40fm on it as standard. I started off with a Stalker 9, Hygain V, and tried a few of those nasty Tristar/Colt/Ham International things but the Cobra/Superstar beat them all. They still pop up on ebay. I only ever had one legal rig, a Uniace 200.
Anyone remember the old Firestick antennas? I've still got one somewhere... huge thick fibreglass thing, do 80mph with that on the roof and you'd be in a convertible before long
Old 21st November 2008, 14:18

AH Uniace can't remember any number with a half-breed gutter mounted (on a Sherpa Mini-Bus) all legal!! had some laughs with that set up.
Ian
Old 21st November 2008, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian View Post
ah uniace can't remember any number with a half-breed gutter mounted (on a sherpa mini-bus) all legal!! Had some laughs with that set up.
Ian
uniden uniace 100.

It was the first rig i ownd ,father in law gave me it.
Old 21st November 2008, 17:18
Administrator

If you were in an urban sprawl in the early 80's, a Uniace was almost compulsory. I think they also went under the name of Audioline.... again, all from the Dynascan/Cobra company but built by Uniden in the far-east. The pretender was Cybernet, with their various names ... all orrible in my opinion, but they were a bit easier to modify.

cheers,
Andy
Old 21st November 2008, 21:39

Hang on a minute

Hang on a minute, I feel any minute Kristoferson will be passing by , The "Convoy" film will be shown in the next layby . I have been radio licenced since before 1980, cor I used to get some stick " why dont you get a proper radio like wev'e got" in the end I gave in as proud as can be... now be careful whilst its true radio's can be hand held the bill is not adverse to claiming you are not in full control of your truck.I still have a little maxcom in the loft .when in the bottom of France in my Dormoblile the UK breakers came in on the early evening lift . When I called some of them back they would not belive me ...I give up..regards, Alan.
Old 21st November 2008, 22:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfo098 View Post
when in the bottom of France in my Dormoblile the UK breakers came in on the early evening lift . When I called some of them back they would not belive me ...I give up..regards, Alan.

Yep, same old story here... impossible to convince some people in Scotland that I was in London, they used think it was a wind-up

I did get a postcard from an English guy who was down in the South of France (Le Lavandou) on legal fm... can't remember his name.

I also remember a guy in Maidstone called 'heavy metal'... he sent me a huge qsl 'card' made of etched metal sheet. Impressive as it was, i think I ripped open my hands with that one

cheers,
Andy
Old 22nd November 2008, 00:05

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
My brother lived in queensland Australia at one time. He was on high ground. he put out foer a long distance copy and got a reply from Dunstable. However the two would not believe each other till the QSL cards arrived. They both thought it impossible to have 20's so far apart and still copy. but they did it. My brither said the other guy was a "Bit in the back of the box" but still audible.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
AH Uniace can't remember any number with a half-breed gutter mounted (on a Sherpa Mini-Bus) all legal!! had some laughs with that set up.
Ian
When I moved back from Shetland to Holyhead, I had my 148 connected to the K40 which had been fitted to a guttermount on my Sherpa minibus. All the way down from Aberdeen, apart from a couple of sidebanders, not a thing.