Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
20:08
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion

Old 27th September 2008, 15:18

Send a message via AIM to ceylon220
Commer 2 stroke

First driving job that I had,long before HGV licences came into being,as long as you had a car full licence you were allowed to drive all types of HGVs, well my first was on an old Commer 2 stroke loading brewers grains from the whiskey distilleries up Scotland and loading sawdust from saw mills up and down the country using a wide mouthed aluminium shovel(bl--dy hard work) all for £3 aload,when coming up the hill at night thro Selkirk you would think that the wagon was a rocket starting up, the sparks would fly out of the exhaustin a mass of light, twice I was pulled up by the police in Selkirk to inform me that I had fire on board especially when she was pumping exhaust smoke out as well, talk about a firework display--those were the days,gone but not forgotten.
Old 27th September 2008, 17:55

Ay, the old TS3 was an 'impressive' brute under load.
Supercharged so that the exhaust was blown out . . .
http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...hnical/TS3.htm
I don't know whether the 'boost' was adjustable.
Old 27th September 2008, 23:10

I had an AEC MK3 complete with sliding doors and push-out windscreen and it was a bugger for throwing flames out of the exhaust - not very good for a tanker carrying flammables.Was sent back to the yard early one morning by Sheffield police with instructions to "get it sorted".The fitters,as always shoved some additive in the derv tank,affectionally known as "Cabdrivers Linctus" and all was well until the next time.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:10

Suttons of St Helens had 5 TVW (Transport Vehicles Warrington), Alf Sutton was one of the partners who set this short lived company up to build lorries useing Sentinal parts when Sentinals closed down and the three Artic units were engine with the TS3 with only a single silencer and a home designed exhaust brake, shunting one of these in London was an endless time of being pulled up by the Law who would claim we had no exhaust fitted although we had, the TS3 were eventually swapped for Gardner 6LW's.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:38

Two Strokes

I have lived in Maidstone all my life and when I was young upto 1951 I lived in St Peters Street and about 500 yds away was the Tillings and Stevens factory (The building is still there) this street was one of the busiest in the town with 2 breweries and the Sharps toffee factory. all day long they would test the the engines and the testbed trucks would come and go . I would often cadge a slow ride down the street to the works on these and the "Vulcan" trucks built oposite T&S, just a chassis with ply panel and pespex to shield the driver with flying helmet like a pilot (I wonder what health and safety would say today)When I first started proper driving in 1963 at "Reeds Corrugated Paper" "Tovil we had Commer pantec's with these engines and for our use they were I belive a joy to drive ,full width seat in cab etc and climbing Wrotham hill in the dark with the fireworks a joy to behold. Jesse Ellis also built lorries in St Peter st about 1900 ...Regards. Alan
Old 14th October 2008, 23:12

Info on your local makes:-
http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/tilling-stevens.html
http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/vulcan.html
and Commer:- http://www.fleetdata.co.uk/commer.html
Old 15th October 2008, 10:43

Vulcan

Thanks for the responce I think personally the Vulcan was a nice little truck they used to leave here with just the front (scuttle)? I have a nice poster (repro ) from the local toy fair.. The LEN cabinet works across town used them mostly with a few Fordson Thames I could post a picture of Fordson with our football team.. I started with LEN after school as a pre Aprentice, ie gofer . but I was advised by a workmate to go and see the world so I did.. Best wishes
Alan
Old 15th October 2008, 11:32

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Never worked a commer two stroke but did manage to get a ride in one, A tractor unit for Daultons transport.. Quite impressive.
A local company had a flat bed two stroke which blew its exhaust I could hear it coming a mile away. what a racket. The fitters welded it up for the next morning
Old 15th October 2008, 22:18

Stupid Boy

Oh Dear, I feel another 'silly boy' reminiscence coming on.

It was as I remember, the year, (in the sixties), that the Causeway, between Weymouth and Portland was severely damaged and massive mounds of beach cobbles, washed into the rear yards of the properties at the Portland end of the Causeway, before the hill which climbs up to the Prison/ Old Quarry.

We were either under canvas at Wyke Regis, or hutted at Chickerell Barracks, I am unsure as, the years seem to run into one another nowadays.

Well, cab happy as ever, I am driving , back to our Barracks at Brighton, a non eventful trip. But on our dispersal from the barracks, and it being early morning, I am volunteered for the 'Milk Run', taking all the people , whom were without transport, along with their heavy kit, home.

The only vehicle that was empty and with troop seating available at this time, was the Commer Q4 3ton Cargo.
So orf I go with all the lads aboard and gradually drop my human cargo in all areas of the Town. My personal kit being the last dropped off, and other, more personal, and temporarily suspended duties fulfilled, I set off to return to the Barracks.

Well it was a very steep hill and at a point where the road formed a sharp left hand bend, though on a trolley bus route, it was not more than about twenty feet wide, and there were parked vehicles, slightly offset on alternate sides, creating a slalom effect.
When I was at a point where I was at a diagonal angle between two such vehicles, the engine coughed and died, Shute!, no petrol and the first early buses would start running out soon.

I have no alternative but to coast back round the bend and obstructive vehicles, to a point where I can get alongside the Kerb.
A helpful paper boy appeared and offered to see me back, good job too, we know about those 2 inch mirrors from the Wife's handbag. What a helpful young man, I could barely and intermittently see anything in those mirrors, he disappeared behind me and became a phantom voice, "come on, come on, come on, come"-Crunch!. In my off side mirror, a bit of kerb between vehicles, and just behind the truck, the offside rear corner of a parked Bedford dormobile caravanette. Shute!. Only creeping, very little damage at all. The boy, not only helpful, but now invisible, had vanished, I felt so sorry for him, he must have been shushing himself.

I Got the truck into the side after the Bedford owner had moved his vehicle, then it was time to ring my Corporal at home, (I have since learned what he was doing, after two weeks away). filthy habit. He eventually turns up with a can of petrol and gets me going.

But how stupid am I, just to prove it, he notices two jerry cans on the rack behind the cab, and yes, they are full.
Too quick to jump in the cab again, did not realise the fuel had run low, (it had been filled prior to leaving Weymouth), did not realise there were full jerry cans aboard. I need not have run out, need not have had to reverse out of the middle of the road, nor, interrupted my Dear Corporal's coupling activities.
More painfully, I did not need to have made, such a complete pillock of myself.
Again, did I hear you say?.
Old 15th October 2008, 23:02

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
heh heh heh I do like an honest man.