Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:11
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Drivers Discussion Forum

Old 10th August 2010, 12:45

Use of trade plates - known as trade licences

Quote:
2. Permitted uses of Trade Licences:-

a. A motor trader may use the trade licence on mechanically propelled vehicles only if they are temporarily in their possession in the course of their business as a motor trader.
A motor trader who is a manufacturer may also use the licence on a vehicle kept solely for research and development purposes or on vehicles, which are from time to time, submitted to them for testing by other manufacturers.

b. A vehicle tester may use the trade licence only on vehicles submitted to them for testing (including the vehicle's trailer, its accessories or equipment).

c. Trade licences must be used only for the particular business purposes for which they were issued. These may include:-
• Test or trial of a vehicle, its accessories or equipment during or immediately after construction, modification or repair;
• Return journey to public weighbridge or for registration or inspection by an authorised official;
• Undertaking a test trial for the benefit of a prospective purchaser or the press;
• Demonstrating the operation of a vehicle, its accessories or equipment, when being handed over to a purchaser and delivering it to the place where they intend to keep it;
• Movement of vehicles for valeting or accessory fitting;
and between traders’ premises; between traders’ premises and a workshop where special equipment or accessories are fitted;
between traders’ premises and a place where it starts or finishes a journey by train etc;
between traders’ premises and auctions or other places of sale;
• Proceeding to and from a DVLA Local Office for an inspection associated with an application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration mark;
• A trade licence is not transferable. If ANY change occurs in the name, proprietorship, legal entity or address of the holder, the DVLA Local Office should be notified immediately;
• Proceeding to and from places of test and for proceeding to a place for breaking and dismantling.
Note:- A vehicle used under a trade licence is exempt from the MOT testing requirements only when being tested during the course of , or on completion of, repairs or when being driven to and from a pre-arranged MOT examination. However, a vehicle which has failed the test or which has no valid MOT must be towed to the place of breaking.
THERE IS NO AUTOMATIC EXEMPTION FROM MOT TESTING FOR VEHICLES USED UNDER A TRADE LICENCE.

d. A vehicle and its trailer are regarded as a single vehicle, therefore, the whole combination must be in temporary possession before its use under a trade licence would be permitted.

e. The only loads which may be carried are those connected with the particular uses described in paragraph 2c - e.g. loads necessary for testing or demonstrating the vehicle, its accessories and equipment and which generally are returned to the place of loading (exemptions include non-returnable loads such as water spraying, muck spreading and refuse collection); parts, accessories or equipment carried for the purpose of being fitted to the vehicle conveying them or in some circumstances to a trailer.
A driver using a trade licence for collection and delivery work may carry a load consisting of some form of alternative transport, appropriately licensed, for use on the return journey.

f. The vehicle may be DRIVEN by the trade licensee, or anyone else driving with their consent, provided it is for a use authorised by the licence holder and that it falls within the requirements set out in schedule 6, part 2, 8-15 RV(R&L) Regs 2002.

g. PASSENGERS may be carried in a vehicle using a trade licence, unless the vehicle can carry only one person, provided they are carried in connection with a purpose for which the licence was issued.
Note:- Trade plates should not be used on a vehicle which is carrying passengers for hire and reward. The purposes for which a trade licence can be issued do not allow passengers to be carried on a commercial basis.

3. Definitions

Motor Trader:-
‘motor trader’ means
a) a manufacturer or repairer of , or dealer in, mechanically propelled vehicles

or
b) any person not falling within para (a) who carries on a business of such description as may be prescribed and a person shall be treated for purposes as para (a) as a dealer in such vehicles if they carry on a business consisting wholly or mainly of collecting and delivering mechanically propelled vehicles, and not including any other activities except activities as a manufacturer or repairer of, or dealer in, such vehicles (This can include Hire and Leasing Companies and also Finance/HP Companies).

Vehicle Tester:-
‘vehicle tester’ means a person, other than a motor trader, who regularly in the course of their business engages in the testing on roads of mechanically propelled vehicles belonging to other people.

5. It is an offence to:-

• make a declaration which is to the knowledge of the declarant false or in any material respect misleading;
• use a vehicle, which is permanently in the possession of the trade licensee unless they are a manufacturer and the vehicle is one kept solely for research and development;
• use more than one vehicle under a trade licence at any one time;
• keep a vehicle on a road for any one period, however short, if it is not being used except in certain
emergency situations;
• use a vehicle for the general conveyance of goods or burden except as specified in 2e;
• use a vehicle without displaying the current trade plate licence and BOTH plates where appropriate;
• misuse, alter, deface or mutilate a trade plate or licence;
• exhibit anything that could be mistaken for a trade plate or licence;
• display trade plates or trade licence other than those issued by the DVLA Local Office;
• display trade plates if the holder no longer holds a trade licence which is in force or if they cease to be eligible to hold a trade licence;
• use the vehicle for any purpose other than those prescribed in the regulations.
From:- http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/m...e%20notes.ashx

Last edited by G-CPTN; 10th August 2010 at 12:49.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:59

Perhaps I am well out of date but I thought you could not carry passengers or at least were limited to number of passengers while using trade plates.
Also heard that while driving with trade plates you are not supposed to stop for personal purposes i.e. shopping.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:20

You couldn't (legally) fit trade plates with the intention of carrying passengers, but people associated with the authorised use of the vehicle are permitted.

Likewise, any use other than that for which the trade plates were issued is not permitted, so if the vehicle is being tested or delivered then it isn't allowed to collect goods or materials.

How many Police would know this, though?, (and what chance is there of being caught?)
Old 29th September 2010, 15:59

Send a message via Skype™ to darloboy
Exclamation

on top of all that how many of us jumped in the tow truck & forgot the plates? or when we road tested the truck with no license on it
Old 29th September 2010, 16:09

Our wrecker had the trade plates screwed in place. All other (test) trucks had to be fitted with trade plates. Getting hold of a set was 'a job' as these were held by the drivers' foreman (and if he was out of his office you had to wait until he returned). Of course, if the outing was planned then getting hold of a set of plates in advance was the way to go.
A couple of very senior engineers kept trade plates in their office (the Bus chief engineer was one).

Another way was to grab a vehicle whilst the driver was having his lunch - but most would take their break out on the road (not all, particularly those who hoped for a better vehicle that may have come up needing miles to be added).
Old 29th September 2010, 21:58

Thumbs down Limited trade plates

In the 60s there were general and limited trade plates, the limited ones you had to carry official documentation given by the boss or foreman with the details of your journey if stopped by the police
Old 29th September 2010, 22:14

I don't remember which type we had - but we always had a chit and the log-book (remember them?) long before tachos.

Gosh, isn't it amazing how you can remember some details whilst other tranches of information have been wiped?
Old 29th September 2010, 23:28

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Tell me about it! I can remember the registrations of vehicles in my past, but I can't remember what I did yesterday!
Old 30th September 2010, 00:00

Send a message via Skype™ to darloboy
tradies

morning just a bobsworth before i shoot off in the old merc as the road tester i was privileged to have the plates in my possession didn't need to look for them but working in the antipodes for so long i am having the memory jogged here i do mind the two sets of plates the rules on them are changing here too only used in working hours & afew others that dont bother me as i am not chucking spanners any more