Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:15
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Members Area > Say Hello
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2010, 10:33

Question naomi fenn

hi everyone i am hoping that someone can help me ive been planning a surprise 40th bday for my other half duncan for the last 5 years although all in my head without actually doing anything about it!this year on june 12th is his big 40!!i would love to hire a vintage bus to be boarded by all his friends and family and for it to pick us up in sevenoaks and then to take us to the tenterden kent and sussex steam railway ,as buses and trains are his two big loves!does anyone know af anywhere near me that is not going to cost the earth as had a few quotes which were £300/500 ,i would be very grateful if anyone could help many thanks naomi
Old 21st January 2010, 10:59

Most of the buses/coaches in preservation are kept on the understanding that they are 'not for hire or reward' and, thus, are not commercially available. This is a licensing/insurance issue (though a vehicle used commercially needs certification as such - which costs money as well as requiring conditions to be met).

Having said that, there are organisations that do hire out 'old' buses (and are certified to provide these services. You have to decide exactly what you (or your partner) understand and expect by a vintage vehicle - there is at least one 'charabanc' (an open 'lorry'-type bodied vehicle) and numerous immediate post-war era buses and coaches.
Maybe a London Routemaster would be what you seek and there are several of those about.

As this group don't encourage advertising (in fact it is prohibited) it isn't really possible to provide you with a list of possibilities, much less to find you a provider - however, choose your search phrase and use Google.
Terms such as:-
vintage coach hire
charabanc hire
old bus hire

or, if you have a specific make or model in mind (Bedford OB, Leyland Tiger, AEC or whatever) then you can add this to your search and you can also add your region and/or town.

Try several searches, including either bus or coach or double decker (open top if you wish).

If you want help in identifying the specific type of vehicle that you have in mind then there are plenty of members here that can help to refine your search terms.

You might contact your destination (Tenterden) and ask whether they know of anyone operating vehicles of the type your require.
Your local modern coach hire operator might also be able to put you in touch with suitable operators offering appropriate vehicles.

Last edited by G-CPTN; 21st January 2010 at 11:27.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:19

Hi Naomi

Welcome to the forum, you have the best advice here from our expert 'Googlmiester'

Good luck with your search

Ian
Old 21st January 2010, 12:23

You can sort through photographs of pre-1980 passenger vehicles here (as well as on the internet, of course):-
http://www.truckandbusforum.com/gall...images.php?c=6