Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
20:20
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Other Road Transport > Utility Service Vehicles & Others

Old 23rd July 2012, 10:41

Bedford TK Runway Caravan (Mobile Air Traffic Control Unit)

Hi

I have a rare Bedford TK Runway Caravan built by for the RAF in 1983. It is one of 14. The only other one I know that exists is rusting away at Brooklands looking over at their Concorde.

A bunch of us bought ours 3 years ago which we call Big Irta and take her down to Le Mans for the 24 hour race every year.

It is fitted with a 214 engine which is plenty good enough to move her 5.8 tonnes around an airfield but is woefully inept at moving her across country to France et al. Speeds on hills are reduced to 15 mph and on the flat 48 (with no head wind) but the accelerator pedal is flat to the floor... consumption is 8 mpg. Le Mans is 470 miles round trip plus we do another 500 miles over the year.... our concern is that the engine is working too hard, consumption is too low and it is bloody boring driving the thing at an average speed of 28 mph.... tops!

We have decided to out the petrol and upgrade to a 500 cu in diesel non-turbo..... which means our engine and gearbox is up for sale.

It has only done 17,500 miles from 1983. It starts every time on the first key. It still blows a bit on number four, but replacing the gasket fixes that for a while.

If anyone is interested in our engine, please let me know. I plan to make it available at the end of August.