Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
14:56
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Members Area > Truck and Bus TV Discussion

Old 10th August 2014, 14:52

Yorkshire Buses

Hands up all those who have been watching the T.V series about Yorkshire Buses ? I just love the characters in it, they are so typical of the the people you meet when working for a bus company. I especially like the way engineering staff are portrayed, I could step into those workshops and feel at home within minutes.
Old 10th August 2014, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
Hands up all those who have been watching the T.V series about Yorkshire Buses ? I just love the characters in it, they are so typical of the the people you meet when working for a bus company. I especially like the way engineering staff are portrayed, I could step into those workshops and feel at home within minutes.
Did you see the one where one driver left brake off when parking up.Bus rolled back into
a newly delivered single decker.ouch.
Old 10th August 2014, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat View Post
Did you see the one where one driver left brake off when parking up.Bus rolled back into
a newly delivered single decker.ouch.
I have seen drivers do similar things to that on more than one occasion, start the bus, put in into gear, release the park brake then get out of the bus to find an engineer to report that there is a problem as it won't move. Next thing the air builds up the brakes realease and off goes the driverless bus. On a more serious occasion a coach driver started his coach put it into gear and realeased the brake, mistook the low air buzzer for the ermgency door warning, then decided to get out to walk round the coach to slam the door from the outside. This again resulted in a runaway driverless vehicle, unfortunately it ran down hill and hit a wall causing very bad injuries to a lot of the passengers.
Old 10th August 2014, 18:28

Drivers? - I wouldn't pay them in washers!

It surprises me how many drivers I speak to (usually when there is a problem with their bus) who admit that they haven't a clue about the 'engineering'.
On several occasions I have been able to diagnose the cause (including a thrown tread from a rear tyre which had obviously been deflated and had overheated - and it was the outer tyre).

I even had one who stated that he hated buses (when I had suggested that he should go to Hong Kong to see their buses).
Old 10th August 2014, 19:40

Many moons ago.Went into Woodrich transport Aycliffe.To do a night trunk.Half the entrance to the office was shored up.[single building].One lad had hooked up his trailer and forgot to put his hand brake on.On the unit .As soon as he connected his air lines to the trailer the whole lot rolled forward.Trailer brake wasn't, on.Ouch

Last edited by Dingbat; 10th August 2014 at 19:47.
Old 13th August 2014, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
Drivers? - I wouldn't pay them in washers!
Being quite ignorant at times, I have been known to tell "drivers" that I wouldn't trust them to drive tent pegs. There are some real clowns about.
Old 13th August 2014, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper2 View Post
Being quite ignorant at times, I have been known to tell "drivers" that I wouldn't trust them to drive tent pegs. There are some real clowns about.
Then on the other hand you get the ones that know just what to do to sabotage a vehicle, some of the things I have seen done were not far short of brilliant. On MCW Metrobuses lots of breakdowns were caused by electrical faults. So the first thing you checked was the multitude of circuit breakers in the panel behind the drivers seat to see if any had popped. One driver managed to get hold of a breaker, he then took it apart and pulled all the workings out.The next time he fancied an extended break at the end of the route he simply pulled out a good breaker and put his doctored one in its place. Of course the engineer pushing in the reset button did not make the slightest bit of difference. The driver would change it back again when no one was looking and the engineer would scratch his head and think he had somehow cured the problem. He was only found out after boasting to a few other drivers about his little trick.
Old 1st January 2017, 11:37
Super Moderator

Has anyone any Idea which is the best book to buy for bus identification please. I am intending to take more shots of them this year.
birdforum.net
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:36

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 UXU View Post
Has anyone any Idea which is the best book to buy for bus identification please. I am intending to take more shots of them this year.
The Observers book of British Buses??

Testing, but give us a try: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
Old 3rd January 2017, 22:09

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buses-Yearb...books+on+buses