View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevand123 View Post
The second vehicle is harder to work out because of the incomplete registration plate. It is a Gilford 168T, and the most likely candidate is probably OV 1328 which was fitted with coachwork by a company called Auto-Cellulose and first registered in May 1931. Its first owner was F. Partridge of Birmingham. There is one other registration number option that I am aware of and that is OV 242 registered in April 1931 to Burgess and Garfield in Birmingham. That option exists because we know it was a Gilford but not what model it was.
If my father was still alive (!) I'm sure that he would have remembered the registration and from whom my grandfather bought it . . .
(Those of you whose parents are still living (and retain their faculties) should ask as many questions as possible, because once they are gone there's no chance!)

Grandfather lived in Wingate Station Town County Durham and traded as John Robert Howe - if that helps. My photograph says "1932 Gilford, taken about 1935".

If only people would put more information on old photographs. I fear that digital photographs will be devoid of any useful information in 75 - 80 years time. That's if anybody has the means of showing them.

I have been told that we should digitise all photographic prints, but a box of prints stands more chance of surviving than a computer hard drive or CD/DVD. What sort of storage media will we using in 10 or 20 years time, never mind 75 to 80?

Someone finding prints can sort through them and assess their worth, whereas who will bother to set up equipment to scan through digital data that just might contain something worth keeping? If nothing else, the sheer volume of digital information being generated today means that it will be unlikely to survive.