View Single Post
Old 19th December 2008, 18:57

chassis cabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie View Post
in the 70's my brother and i used to go to wednesbury to our paper suppliers. When we got onto the m6, we'd see lorry chassis with lights precariously placed, being driven by men sitting in plywood "boxes" and wearing bright yellow oilskins, scarves and goggles going up the m6. We never knew where they came from for definite or where they were going. Looked an interesting, albeit a slighly dangerous job, did any of the drivers on here do that job? If so, where were you going and what was it like?
hello mate, i had the dubious distinction of piloting some of those lethal missiles,lol. We were running out of slip -end near luton with bedford "chassis cabs destined for duples of blackpool to have coach bodies fitted. After which we hitched back on our trade plates.they were deemed unsafe shortly after tho they had been driven like that for years and years. From about 76 they had to delivered by transporter. You had to be a bit nuts to put up with no screen no seat, only a bit of ply, and no saftey belt! Lol.