View Single Post
Old 19th November 2008, 13:39

Hi Andy, I used CB radio all the time. In the US not having a CB radio was the same as driving without lights a night. Even though there was a lot of rubbish on the airways at times it was invaluable when looking for directions or when there was a major accident on the Hwy. The police monitored CB radio also and this was good especially if trouble was brewing in a rough area loading or unloading. Night time driving had a different type of user, many good conversations took place then (most of the rubbish heard on air seemed to dissappear at night). CB radio was good for information, especially when parked up in a strange truckstop. Mind you some information floating around truckstops was not for certain ears but then thats another storey. My Handle while in the US was the "Irish Warrior" in Ireland I was called "The Captain" a name my friends gave me relating to my sea going days, even though I was not a captain. Of course CB radios came in all sizes with all the bells and whistles and antennas that would have made some radio stations feel small. These users were known as "Big Radios" with some of the strangest voice sounds you ever heard. Some of them sounded as if they were talking out of a mine shaft through a fog horn. I'm sure other users will have other stories. Regards Pat.