View Single Post
Old 10th October 2008, 22:47

Part Four, The Don R's and London Circular.

So, the broody Austin Champ is really struggling to close the gap and I, spoiling for another battle of words with my tormenter, decide to pull over to hasten the confrontation.

Now it was my turn to have the puerile tantrum, I leapt, well yes I could and often did in those days, yes, I leapt from the cab, grasped my beret and like a protagonist of yore, thrust it on the ground, (well the Don R's had all the gauntlets). Here was my challenge.
Have you ever been so built up for a fight, that you have actually felt disappointed, when the other party apologises or gives a reasonable excuse?.
Bod it, you know that man, you know, that one , the one in the Austin Champ, well it wasn't him. Bogger!.

Captain K, a most genial and well respected, up through the ranks, Gentleman, greeted me with his warm smile and a twinkle in his eye.

"Well Sapper", he says, "and which front are you returning from today".
Don't you just hate it when you want to be sullen and morose, and some bogger makes you laugh?.

I explain in great detail, my traumatic experiences of the day and close by telling him that I am obeying the last order and trying to catch the convoy.
"Well you are to be congratulated", says he, (this was better, a bit of praise, what a nice man). "Yes congratulations indeed, you have done so well, the convoy is at least ten miles to your rear, and what news have you of the Don R's "?.

I explained that when last seen, they were heading South Like two angry bees who had flown through a line of washing and come out bedecked in Grandfathers World War one Military attire.

I will be brief, who are you kidding?, who me?.

Well, the convoy duly became caught up with, after I had waited about forty minutes. We all had tea and set off South. The Don R's?, we came across them somewhere North of Watford.

Now, how about the London Circular, ah, indeed, that is a story for another time.

Energumen

Last edited by Energumen; 10th October 2008 at 23:07. Reason: Punctuation