Thread: models
View Single Post
Old 14th August 2010, 11:06

I have a "few" 1:76 diecast models in my collection!

Firstly there is my foreign contingent! This is mainly my Hong Kong buses. I must have aeound 60 (need to check on that). The majority are in Citybus livery. I have KMB (Kowloon Motor Bus), CMB (China Motor Bus - now defunct!) and NFWB (New World First Bus models) with a few from the lesser known companies such as New Lantau Bus, KCRC (Kowloon Canton Railway Company) and Stagecoach Hong Kong (they owned Citybus at one time, but I have a 3 axle Olympian in the UK style livery). I also have a few Japanese buses and coaches, some Australian buses, a Singapore 3 axle Olympian and a Chinese Volvo.

I dread to think how many UK buses I have safely stored in a couple of large cardboard boxes!

I do collect buses from my local bus company (or at least it was in my youth) City of Oxford. I have every mainstream release from EFE, Corgi and Creative Master Northcord Ltd plus a set from the London Transport Museum with a 1960's Oxford single decker (I used to travel to school on those on the years my pass was for public transport). I also have a couple of 1:50 models in the shape of a half-cab AEC Regal in the City of Oxford coach livery and a Guy Arab Utility double-decker.

Another company I like is Southdown though I suspect I may have missed a few models over the years. I bought the first EFE diecast coaches so have the Southdown Cavalier. I also managed to get the 36' Southdown single-decker bus that EFE released relativly recently. I have one 1:50 model in the shape of a Corgi Southdown Bedford OB. For some reason (out of the six models initially released) I chose the Southdown version which cost my £9.99 I think. At one time it could be bought for £120 online! I also have the Sunstar 1:24 27 Seat Southdown OB which is an impressive model to say the least with opening doors, sliding roof and opening bonnet.

I do have two other Sunstar 1;24 scale models. I have another OB in the shape of a Grey Cars 29 Seater as equally impressive as the Southdown I picked it up for half price in a sale. My final 1:24 is the Sunstar Routemaster. I wanted one but was not sure what to get. Eventually they released the Greenline Caoch version which was the one I went for. Opening bonnet, Emergency Exit and folding platform doors. Impressive to say the least.

I have some 1:50 models from Corgi as well. I bought the complete first years release of the new modern trucks they released. All artics and they came in a large platic display case (unlike the subsequent releases and their cardboard boxes). That was 12 models! I have not collected quite that many a year since them, but try to get the new castings or Stobart releases. I do have some older type trucks from Corgi and also the first series of steam vehicles they released.

I do have my old Dinky Toys and Corgi Toys sitting in the attic from when I was a kid!

Being into big and impressive models (3 axle double deckers notwithstanding!) I have a couple of HO scale American model trains (other than about 3 others that is about the limit of my interest in model railways). The two in question are a Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy and Southern Pacific Lines 4-8-8-2 Cab Forward.

I won't mention my Scalextric cars (too late!) or model kits...