View Single Post
Old 8th April 2011, 23:04

Great to see some responses, firstly to Ian.
Yes I agree the site is fine, I'd just to see more involvement by more people. It then becomes more dynamic and is not likely to get stale.

To moderator Ian,
It always surprises me just how few people take any real part in all these various sites, not just the one's you have mentioned, but shipspotting is a classic. Very few active members who talk and debate, but at least there are a lot of members who do upload photos and that is what makes that site superb. Sure it is a rather cold and unfriendly site, but it does have fantastic quality in it's photos.
I have been very surprised to find out just how many truck photographers there are around the world, and this has been the catalyst for my post.
So it is, not only how can we entice our own members to participate, but also how can we entice others to join us.
Now I don't know the financial make up of this site, but can we advertise in, say, some of the trucking mags. I do know "Ships Monthly" mag has a listing of shipping related websites that readers may be interested in.
Can we advertise on flikr, or on Hank's US site.
I didn't know that we had so many sister sites. I knew of the Shipping and Aviation ones but I had no idea about the rail and bird spotting site.
Why not cross advertise in each others sites.
If your figures are correct and the Bird site has a million members, (I take it it is the feathered variety and not the 2 legged ones) surely a 100 may be interested in this site, but didn't know it existed.

Can we do a survey to find out why so many do not participate, there must be something here that doesn't "do it" for them.

But are just my thoughts (ramblings), as I'd like to see this site really take off.

It deserves to.