View Single Post
Old 9th October 2008, 14:47

Part three; The Don R's

Now, still smarting from the public dressing down for doing as instructed, but nonetheless happy to be free of the impedence of slower trucks for a while, I wend my way homeward again, the whistle and clatter of the V8 petrol and vibration from the all terrain tyres, interrupted frequently with the sharp crack of the canvas tilt as sail like, it fought with the wind, these had become a sort of calming overture to my ears.

Then it happened, as if from nowhere first one, then a second Don R appeared alongside my cab door, the riders appearance resembling some gruesome and macabre ghouls from a nightmare. Goggles, crash helmets, great coats flared out like the wings of Concorde, leather thigh boots and gauntlets, complete with scarves that trailed like ships pennants in a storm.

Here we go, "Wwwuuuwww wwwwwover" shout the ghouls in unison, as they wooble, along, bodies akimbo and left arms flailing the air, "Wwwuuuwww wwwwover yapwat". It was quite clear to me as an astute observer of body language and military speak, that these individuals wished me to stop and exchange dialogue with them, and I did so.

Now something must be left to the readers imagination, so you must insert your own sentences, phrases, grunts, gesticulations and obscenities into the tale at this point.

Suffice to say, it resulted in my doing a five point about turn on this rural road, scarcely wide enough for a vehicle in each direction, now you would think I had been punished enough, wouldn't you? yes?. Not Broody likely, just as I complete the manouvre, up comes a knight in , no not shining armour, a broody Austin Champ, who could this be wondered I, as it approached, then an arm bedecked with three of the most prominent chevrons known to man, appeared from the drivers side, apparently offering to give me some physical ecstasy and relief, now I knew who this was, before the voice became audible, sorry, no prizes.

Sargeant Strident, having sent the Don R's to turn me round, had been advised that if I had carried straight on it was a more direct route to the A1 anyway. He now directed another five point about turn and in his own inimmitable way, sent me to join the A1 South and catch up with the convoy.

On arriving at the A1 with the two Don R's in attendance and Strident having gone goodness knows where, I was instructed to wait in a lay by for the rest of the convoy and rejoin at the rear.
This instruction was valid for about fifteen minutes, whilst the two Don R's Went Northward, after which time they reappeared, telling me to get my boot down as the convoy had already passed.

Now it is fair to point out at this time, that the only means of radio communication between any convoy members was a pair of No.19 radio sets, which were 'netted in' at the start of our outward journey and never spoke to each other again until we got home.

However, delightful, I am coaxing about 51 mph out of this old Canadian Thames, the various noises like sections of an orchestra, each making their own unique contribution to this 1812 overture, with the curtains providing the explosions. Even more delightful, the only vehicles passing me are the 'Tartan Arrows', who remembers them?.

Then in my 2inch mirrors, first offside, then nearside, I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be an Austin Champ.

To be continued.

Energumen