View Single Post
Old 6th October 2008, 23:34

The 1963 Brighton to Ripon Saga

Hi Folks, it has been suggested that I put this little story on here.

It is Autumn 1963, the R E (TA) From Brighton are on their way to Ripon for their Annual Camp. They will be in convoy with about twenty vehicles including: Scammel Constructor with 20 ton Tasker Low Loader, carrying A dozer or the 10 RB digger, brain gone, plus BK Lorry mounted digger on a dennis chasis, Coles Crane, BK Grader, 10 Ton Albion Machinery Truck, 10 Ton Albion LWB Cargo an assortment of 3 tonners 1 Tonners,
Land Rovers and Champs. Not forgetting the Don R's.

Departure from Barracks commences 2359 hrs.
0010 hrs. Clutch gives out on the Scammel, this means it is tea time, we have our first roadside brew up, 10 minutes from the barracks, whilst our own wizard with his battered bucket of tools, cuts up a baked bean tin, the contents already warming someones insides, makes shims for the clutch, which he duly fits and puts the show back on the road in two hours

Not only did the clutch hold out for the trip to North Yorkshire, which as I remember took over two days, including an overnight stop at Bedford AER Camp, but I can never recall it being replaced, though I suppose it must have been.

Our Wizard deserves a mention, he was Pete Newnham whose civvy job was Plant Workshop Foreman for SM Tidy a well known Sussex Haulage and Plant Hire outfit of the Time, Later integrated with Hall and Co. of Worthing and into the RMC Group.

I will not mention the level crossing in Yorkshire that was on an acute bend, and which after an age getting the Scammel Rig around and over it, the Scammel and the rest of us, arrived back at for a second visit, half hour or so later. And that was without Sat. Nav.

If you read this Sir, from your lofty heights of today, I promise I will not reveal the name of the Subaltern responsible.
Oops, sorry it slipped out. Hm no I will not.

Don't miss the next instalment.

Energumen

Last edited by Energumen; 12th October 2008 at 11:02. Reason: Error