View Single Post
Old 9th October 2008, 20:07

The Bus Drivers introduction

Bus Drivers induction 1966ish

Had enough of being a prisoner driving in the gasworks, and only being allowed the freedom of the road on my weekends with the TA, so off I go to see about being a Southdown bus driver.

Walked into the office, if my memory serves me correctly, it was upstairs in Edward Street Garage. Had my interview and was being shown round the garage, my interviewer excuses himself and walks over to a chap who had just walked into the garage and then they both come over to me, whereupon the second man introduces himself as Mr. Trott, The Driving Examiner, They had their own in those days. After a brief chat and a look at my ordinary licence, he asked if I was interested in going out there and then, on a preliminary assessement, whereupon he would make a decision about how long I would be allocated on the driver training rota.

Cabbie, cabbie, I jumped at the chance and virtually ran round the Queen Mary doing my Driver checks. "Not necessary mister" they tell me, "it's all done for you here". Still did it every time I started a duty or took one over, time permitting. Anyway, I climb in the cab and familiarise myself with the controls, Trotty boards the bus and stands behind and to the left of me, to give directions through the opening.

Thus I was unleashed in a nearly new 30ft by 8ft 2.5 inch beauty.
Well we went through the centre and Trotty decided that he wanted to pop in to see someone at Poole Valley Bus Station and directs me to go round Old Steine, now I know that Poole Valley is down a little Lane off The Old Steine, so before he realises what has happened, I dived down the lane (Bull I know, but I wanted the job).
Well then we went along the seafront up West Street and via A steep hill (Dyke Road where I had to stop and pull away up hill, assuming I had standing passengers and do 'a snatch change first to second and proceed on , this was followed by reversing round various left side corners, moving away on a downhill, in the correct gear and letting the clutch in on the move, bringing the vehicle to a halt, downhill without using the footbrake, just handbrake and gear combinations, emergency stops etc.

We pulled into the Forecourt of the station on the way back, he had meant outside, but not been specific, more bull.

We get back and he took me over to a chap whom I learned was a Driving Instructor and said "this one is ready if you have a chance tomorrow take him in one of your groups, and give him a bit of polish", we then made our way to the office and collected the required paperwork to obtain references and medical and I was told as soon as they were back in, I could have my test and start route training.

The half hour with the instructor took place a couple of days later, between two other trainees who were on a week or two's course, and later with the paperwork and formalities completed, official test out of the way, I was on the job route learning within 10 days of interview.

Oh to be that confident today.
But how are the mighty fallen.
Part two The Guy, will follow.

Energumen

Last edited by Energumen; 19th December 2008 at 11:56.