View Single Post
Old 18th March 2012, 05:17

Gilford AS6 With Buda "ASB"?? Engine

Andrew Stevens of High Wycomb is restoring a Gilford AS6, fitted with a Buda "ASB" engine (6cyl, 35/8x41/2, 4.55L, 278/279 CID).
Unfortunately, two obsolete Buda parts dealers here don't recognize it, nor does my own Buda list (several pages, but made from US catalogs only) include it.
Andrews original post, with a great deal more detail, is on smokstak (no typo) in the Multi-Cyl Power Unit forum under "Buda Engines" (sorry, never learned to make links) under poster name steveand123. Another thread is on hcvc.com.au, under "Gilford AS6 with Buda ASB??" with additional comments.
I understand Buda's factory in Wembley actually only assembled Buda parts into whole Buda engines, presumably to escape duties on whole engines.
35/8 was not a popular bore with Buda, my list only showing one 4cyl and one 6cyl series, the DS, but it had a 5" stroke. (Is the "ASB" a destroked DS??)
(1) Does anyone here have an old replacement engine parts catalog that might ID this engine and/or list an "ASB" in its Buda engine list??
(2) Does anyone here recall mention of a Buda "ASB" engine??
Any comments appreciated; Andrew can be contacted by clicking on his posting name in the smokstak forum; an email form, thru the system, will come up.
I'm not involved in the bus project; my interest is ID'ing this previously unknown engine. Any comments appreciated. Many thxx!! Bud