View Single Post
Old 12th September 2010, 14:01

Auckland Waterfront News.

I have just uploaded a few photos taken this afternoon on the docks here in Auckland.
Our containership was a bit late arriving and so as there was a ship discharging Soya Meal at the next wharf, I thought that I would nick over there and grab some sly photos. It is a quarantine area and I'm not supposed to be there, but, a guy's got to do what a guys got to do!!
The ship, the Clipper Izuma was discharging 8000 tonnes of soya meal from Brazil, destined for the Tegel chicken processing plant at Takanini, south of Auckland. About 20 bulk truck and trailer units were assigned to this and most appeared to be from out of town.
I have to admit to being quite surprised at the variety of trucks. I shall upload more tomoro as it is quite late here now,and I'm knackered, I need some sleep. Too much photography!.
Tomoro we receive the first of 8 shiploads of wind turbine blades and masts when the vessel "Happy River" berths.
The trucks are already on the berth waiting. I understand that the actual movement off the wharf, will be made about 1am each morning, so not sure yet just what I will be able to show you. But, rest assured I'll do my best.
I was a little surprised to see the trucks, a T cab Scania, very rare, and a very old Oshkosh, which I am sure dates back to the 70's with Dales Freightways.
I'm not complaining tho.

I did talk with quite a few of the drivers today, and let them know of this site, so hopefully we may get some more viewers.
I did have a chuckle tho when talking to an Alderson's driver. When I asked him what they ran, he replied Kenworths, Scanias and DAFs. I then asked him how he found them, and his reply was, "oh the DAF's are the definately the "poverty pack" ".

Rgds/Mike (hilifta)

Last edited by hilifta; 12th September 2010 at 14:23.