View Single Post
Old 9th September 2013, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
Most tipper bodies were calculated according to what the expected load would be, but, of course, some contractors wanted universal loads.

If the body was sized to carry stone (or sand or gravel), then woodchippings and sawdust would bulk-out before the weight was exceeded, so greedy-boards were fully justified. You often see them on vehicles that carry scrap, as, although steel is heavy, scrap items might be things like bicycle frames with large voids, thus reducing the density of the load.
One dealer I worked for had a separate body shop that would build the odd tipper body, most of these were for a company called 'William Hampton' who were coal and coke merchants. Sometimes I would get the job of taking them to the Weights And Measures Office after they had been painted. I had to take a big lead seal with me and after they were measured and the capacity calculated they fitted the seal and stamped it with a H.M Government Crown mark. They were 8 wheel Fodens and they had something like a 18 yard body, GVW for a vehicle like this was still only 24 ton.