View Single Post
Old 12th December 2011, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckboypeggy View Post
Hi Hilifta, i had the fortune to work with a cople of ex middle east drivers [not the cola cowboys] pioneers of road haulage a speciel breed at the right place at the right time.i called euro haulage ."the merchant navy on wheels" good and bad men able to think on their feet ,at boarders etc not scared of much,good boozers another important requisit not piss heads but good social drinkers..not the done think now,however we all had our weekend watering holes,whereever in europe you were,custom compounds.you would allways find brits,dutch ,danes ,germans .french, no east euros then.poles,etc.ps i was in Auckland 1962/3 on the ships..and usual ports,did miss one in lyttleton, put on the wellington ferry [wari---- something] 2 days later .rejioned ship.whoops.girls again.plus beer,
With that "handle" I thought you were an ex seafarer.
All the bush pigs have now gone with all the crazy security that we have nowadays. Haven't seen one for years.
Miss the antics the bushies used to get up to though, from falling down gangways and into the sea when pissed, to in one case, doing a complete strip on the dock as the ship was sailing at 11pm in the middle of winter. And to cap that one off, the old man had his Missus with him and she was looking over over the bridgewing. Great bit of NZ culture!.
Great laughs.

Mike