View Single Post
Old 15th October 2013, 22:12

From your website:-
Quote:
We have here a 1980 Bedford TK. Its model number is KGLC3 which I believe makes it a 300 cubic inch petrol model (4.9L) with 167" wheelbase (4.2m). Amazing that Bedford were still making petrol trucks as late as 1980. At some point it was converted to CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) and later a diesel fitted. When we bought the truck in around 2005 it came with a Bedford 466 diesel and five speed.
It really depends on what you intend using the vehicle for.

If it's just a 'show pony' then you might be able to use the existing axle (especially if it ran with the Bedford 466 engine).

The KG allowable maximum weight is probably 12 tonnes and if you intend fitting a living container (for use at shows) then you should be within the 12 tonnes.

I was basing my assumptions (and warnings about the axle) that you were starting with a model KM (and an artic tractor at that).
Normally the Detroit 6V-71 would be operated at 32 tonnes, and I assumed that you might be running at that weight.

The Bedford 22500 axle that I referred-to was standard fitment in the rigid (16 tonne) KM with the 466 engine and would have had air brakes and would also have been fitted to some TK KH with hydraulic brakes.

I don't know of any rigid 4-wheelers that have the 6V-71 engine (though, no doubt somebody might have done what you intend doing - however, probably not starting with a 12 tonner).

One reason is that the Detroit 6V sticks further out the back of the cab than the 466 engine (KM artics that were fitted with the Detroit engine were long-wheelbase KMB models rather than the standard KMA model). You would have to move the front of any body that you might have to accommodate the engine (and you might struggle to get a suitable engine-mounting rear crossmember into a KG).
I've never heard of anyone fitting a 6V-71 into a KG - but I suppose it depends on your ingenuity.
What do you intend doing about the parking brake?

I can't imagine that any axle fitted with hydraulic brakes would handle the load that would normally be pulled by a 6V-71.
As I've stated it depends what you intend for your vehicle.

For your information the Bedford 300 petrol engine was popular for its higher horsepower (than the 330 diesel) and was preferred by fire engine operators and regions where petrol was cheap (it was quite thirsty compared to the diesel option) and continued as an option right until Bedford closed down. Some TK KG fire engines were fitted with the Bedford 466 engine (as an SVO) - but they operated at weights below 16 tonnes of course (like yours).

Last edited by G-CPTN; 15th October 2013 at 22:43. Reason: Reference to parking brake added.