View Single Post
Old 30th April 2013, 18:39

The weather allowed me check the filter screen today, and there was one. It was however relativley clean. I did find some kind of a valve under it though, with a small pison itside that was stuck in some "brown stuff" - not rust as far as I can tell, but some really sticky brown stuff. I got the piston out and cleaned it so it now moves freely again, and put it all back together. I had some hopes after that, but the result is the same. Bad flow when bleeding, and no pressure out on the injector pipes.

I don't know what that "brown" stuff I keep finding is, but it's from 1971 and I guess it's had it's share of bad/dirty fuel along the line. Since this can pass through diesel filters and the filter screen, I'm guessing it's something that's solvable in diesel. There's no telling though which other parts inside the injector pump that could've gotten stuck by the same stuff - so at this point I consider that the most likely culprit. However I see it, I must conclude that the problem is inside the injection pump.

Can any of you tell me where the timing adjustment for the injector pump is? It seems to be 3 bolts that hold the injection pump, and what I'm wondering is: If I remove these (and the injector pipes), will I also loose my timing setting? I'd hate to disturb the timing, since I have no proper means of readjusting it. If I could get the injection pump off without loosing the timing, I guess it could be worth a try to sit down and remove any inspection covers and plugs that I can find and clean and "unstick" anything I can access without pulling the pump completely apart.