Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Truck Discussion (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bedford TK rear park brake setup. (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=4482)

mtbiggs 22nd June 2013 02:05

Bedford TK rear park brake setup.

Hi all,

I have a TK Bedford, model I believe is KC, 16inch wheel model and year around mid 1970. It has an air actuated park brake, the pressure pot is mounted on the diff. The pressure pot has an internal piston / spring and a rod to then actuate through levers to long 2 rods. One of these long rods goes to the LH rear brake bisector, and the other to the RH brake bisector. Both these rods and the pressure pot rod have adhjusting threads on them.

Can someone please tell me how to set up this park brake system, all I know is that it has to be done with the air on, so the spring is compressed in the pot.The spring is what puts the brakes on when there is no air pressure.

Thanks for your help :)

Christine

P.S(I am a mechanic all you guys, so can do this if I know the procedure / settings)

coachman 22nd June 2013 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbiggs (Post 13882)
Hi all,

I have a TK Bedford, model I believe is KC, 16inch wheel model and year around mid 1970. It has an air actuated park brake, the pressure pot is mounted on the diff. The pressure pot has an internal piston / spring and a rod to then actuate through levers to long 2 rods. One of these long rods goes to the LH rear brake bisector, and the other to the RH brake bisector. Both these rods and the pressure pot rod have adhjusting threads on them.

Can someone please tell me how to set up this park brake system, all I know is that it has to be done with the air on, so the spring is compressed in the pot.The spring is what puts the brakes on when there is no air pressure.

Thanks for your help :)

Christine

P.S(I am a mechanic all you guys, so can do this if I know the procedure / settings)

I'm not sure of this set up Christine, but I would advise you to beware of having hands and fingers on the short rod that comes out of the actuator when it is applied. If it was I think it is, then it applies the brakes by pulling the linkage and not pushing it. This means that the spring is in the front of the actuator pushing the piston back and not behind the piston pushing it forward. Unfortunately if it is this set up unlike most spring brakes there is no way that the brake can be wound off by mechanical means and the way I was warned about was '' get your hands away from that or you will end up wearing it like a glove '' .

G-CPTN 22nd June 2013 12:35

I would imagine (using logic, not experience) that you first adjust the wheelbrakes so that they are as close to the drums as possible and don't rub, then, with the air system charged adjust the parking brake linkages until there is no slack but they are not causing the brakes to drag.

dandabambury 23rd June 2013 15:28

Hi.
I have no vintage truck, or particular knowledge of them, but I do have a set of five Bedford Truck and Coach Service Training Manuals, which a relative has asked me to sell on eBay. I have not listed them yet. In the front of the "Brakes" manual, it says "This manual provides the experienced serviceman with information on the special features of the brakes used on 1973 Bedford trucks & coaches, except Series M4 x 4 trucks,....."
Sections 153 and 153a deal with parking brake linkage and adjustment; is that what you are looking for?
Unfortunately, I am also not a computer whizz, so I cannot find out how to attach a photo. If you would like me to send it to an e-address, I will willingly do so.

G-CPTN 23rd June 2013 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandabambury (Post 13886)
Unfortunately, I am also not a computer whizz, so I cannot find out how to attach a photo.

The easiest method (unless you have a scanner) is to take a digital photograph then upload it to a site such as Photobucket.com then copy the URL (that begins IMG) and paste it into your text message here.

Alternatively, just copy (word for word) the text (typing it into here). It's slow but words is words and easily read wherever.

dandabambury 30th June 2013 20:35

1973 bedford - parking brake setup

2 Attachment(s)
I hope that the two photo's of the pages from my manual transmit OK, and that they are of help.

Attachment 276

Attachment 277

dandabambury 30th June 2013 20:41

Parking brake setup - 1973 Bedford.

3 Attachment(s)
Omitted to send a further 3 photo's. Here they are.Attachment 278

Attachment 279

Attachment 280

I am sure that you can sort out the order they should be in!

jacksmuthes 6th April 2020 09:26

When trucking i recommend having a contact with a mobile truck mechanics Carindale that is very helpful specially in problems on the road.

Opalminer72 27th July 2020 23:01

Can I ask a question. I have 74 TK cab Bedford
Currently have no air so does this mean my park brake is on or off
I thought no air meant brakes are off

RustRemoverJim 29th July 2020 09:02

1 Attachment(s)
My logic tells me; If you were to park on a hill, the parking brake should stay on, even when the air pressure leaks away to nothing! There is no mechanical lock on the parking brake. A spring apples the parking brake and the air overcomes the spring when the parking brake is released. My 76 TK has the same parking brake set up and the rods push from the central mechanism and into the cylinder on the drums when the air pressure is applied.
My old manual does not cover this modern system so I would love to know how this works, as I’m trying to remove the drums but it’s all rust and no give.