Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Truck and Bus TV Discussion (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New Video: Driving in snow (added by Bobjork) (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=1367)

Truck & Bus 28th March 2009 10:03

New Video: Driving in snow (added by Bobjork)

Driving in snow
Keywords: snow scania sweden driving sliding almost crashing lidingö bosön
Added by Bobjork.

Click here to View Video

To Upload Your Own Video Click Here...

Bobjork 28th March 2009 10:07

This is me driving a bus in snow yesterday evening.
I start at Bosön (or actually som meters after that stop to avoid starting uphill) and then drive towards the big road and the stop Rudboda torg where route 204/212 joins my route (211).
The badly parked truck was very tight to pass and the bus started to slide.
Fortunately something stopped the rear axle so it didn't leave the road.

G-CPTN 28th March 2009 22:33

Does your bus have any 'extras' such as winter tyres (with or without studs), antilock brakes and/or traction control?

Bobjork 29th March 2009 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-CPTN (Post 4202)
Does your bus have any 'extras' such as winter tyres (with or without studs), antilock brakes and/or traction control?

No winter tyres, but when the winter arrives, they put on new tyres.
We have antilock brakes and traction control on all our buses.

G-CPTN 29th March 2009 14:21

Thanks.
I've never driven with traction control, so I don't know how effective it would be in snow.
Does it operate on the front wheels too?

Bobjork 29th March 2009 16:58

I think the traction control only operates at the rear wheels. (Never seen the "TC" indicator being lit when braking or turning) The traction control only activates when driving, so no "traction wheels" are spinning.
The antilock brakes however work on all wheels and are quite effective in making the bus go in the direction you want as long as the bus doesn't start to slide sideways, wich was the case in the video. First sliding right (towards the truck) then I managed to get grip on the front wheel but then the rear wheels slided left.

But the traction control is a good help when driving uphill.

dmackay 29th March 2009 21:14

Traction control on cars is great in snow especially when towing a trailer,nearly as good as a 4x4 :)

Bobjork 29th March 2009 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmackay (Post 4209)
Traction control on cars is great in snow especially when towing a trailer,nearly as good as a 4x4 :)

Yes, I have it on my Volvo. A good car to tow with.

G-CPTN 30th March 2009 00:24

The Volvo 200 was probably the worst vehicle for traction in snow.
(The Vauxhall Victor FD was almost as bad, but that didn't originate in a snowy country.)

Bobjork 30th March 2009 08:31

But the Volvo 200 was good at every other point. No other Volvo was built for so long. :)
Many of them are still left. As long as the rust don't get them, they keep running.