Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Transport Cafes - Past & Present (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   few and far between (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=5)

billyboy 11th September 2008 00:14

few and far between

The good old transport cafes are very few and far between these days.
In the days before the motorways there were plenty on all the "A" roads and a good many on the "B" roads as well.
Good food too. BIG fry up int he morning. roast beef and 3 veg with gravy and apple pie desert for lunch and a good feed for dinner in the evenings. That why we all got big tummy's?
The motorway foods are a bit expensive and the standard of the meals is not the same.
Anyone remember the one's by Gatwick, redhill, Bassets pole, lincoln farm near kenilworth, Scotts corner to mention but a few

MacFadyin 12th September 2008 15:55

I think, travelling with my dad back in the 1950s I ate more often in them than at home. Even in the car, visiting relatives down in London we always ate in a transport cafe
There was a good one on the A74, just outside Beattock and opposite to a quarry.
Hill Top near Doncaster back in the 1950s
There was a caravan on the old A66, pretty much at the top. It was later replaced by a permanent building and rapidly went downhill from then. The Gate, on the A2 has ben a Transport Cafe since I can remember. Nothing like the original now though.

Mandator 13th September 2008 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 10)
The good old transport cafes are very few and far between these days.
In the days before the motorways there were plenty on all the "A" roads and a good many on the "B" roads as well.
Good food too. BIG fry up int he morning. roast beef and 3 veg with gravy and apple pie desert for lunch and a good feed for dinner in the evenings. That why we all got big tummy's?
The motorway foods are a bit expensive and the standard of the meals is not the same.
Anyone remember the one's by Gatwick, redhill, Bassets pole, lincoln farm near kenilworth, Scotts corner to mention but a few

I remember Bassetts Pole billyboy,used to park up on there and fiddle home to Sheffield on the old log book.Others in the area were the Tree at Alrewas and the Oakamoor(still open)at Barton-under-Needwood both on the A38.Further towards Derby was the Y-Pass and a dirty scruffy hole called the Airport where the rats used to queue up with you for breakfast.Then there was Atkins cafe at Findern,Derby which belonged to FB Atkins the hauliers.
Not many good old cardiac arrest places open now.:D

Mandator 13th September 2008 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacFadyin (Post 92)
I think, travelling with my dad back in the 1950s I ate more often in them than at home. Even in the car, visiting relatives down in London we always ate in a transport cafe
There was a good one on the A74, just outside Beattock and opposite to a quarry.
Hill Top near Doncaster back in the 1950s
There was a caravan on the old A66, pretty much at the top. It was later replaced by a permanent building and rapidly went downhill from then. The Gate, on the A2 has ben a Transport Cafe since I can remember. Nothing like the original now though.

The one near Beattock,the name of which escapes me,opposite the quarry had a park like the surface of the bloody moon and it also had revolving doors:cool: The Hilltop cafe was at Blyth on the A1.I remember the cafe at Stainmore on the A66,used to call there regular.Smith of Maddiston used to changeover there with Stirlands of Nottingham at night and used to see them both every night when on Penrith/Carlisle/Lockerbie trunk.

G6 UXU 14th September 2008 22:34

I used to fill up the wagon with derv and go and have a good feed at the Moss Cafe on the A74 between Carlisle and Gretna, if you parked up at the back it was like Multi Coloured Swapshop, you could buy or sell anything. The cafe was second to none, you could get a roast beef dinner at 2am in the morning. Do any of you lads remember the Moss ?. All the best.

Mandator 15th September 2008 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6 UXU (Post 198)
I used to fill up the wagon with derv and go and have a good feed at the Moss Cafe on the A74 between Carlisle and Gretna, if you parked up at the back it was like Multi Coloured Swapshop, you could buy or sell anything. The cafe was second to none, you could get a roast beef dinner at 2am in the morning. Do any of you lads remember the Moss ?. All the best.

I remember the Moss Chris.I bought a socket set off somebody with a van about midnight on my way back from a Lockerbie changeover.Cost me thirty bobbish and still got them:)

2E0BLL 16th September 2008 06:32

The Moss is now two separate service stations, both sides of the carriageway, and a Little Chef! They`ve built a new weighbridge next to it as part of the conversion of the
A74 to motorway, which I believe will be open 24/7. The cafe near Beattock was called Coatsgate. Star truck stop at Lesmahagow, J10 is still there, and not bad for a meal.
There`s a good cardiac arrest caravan on the approach to Woodhead that`s open 24/7, just off J35a of the M1, try and eat a full English in there! Hi to all that know me from Railway Forum.
Regards Mike.

billyboy 16th September 2008 07:11

I dont know how some of us survived all those cardiac arrest stops we used to make. full english at 8am.....mixed grill at 1 pm....roast dinner at 6pm followed by a couple of pints and a fish and chip takeaway. Maybe thats why I am not so well today. not enough lard in my diet anymore...LOL

Mandator 16th September 2008 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2E0BLL (Post 248)
The Moss is now two separate service stations, both sides of the carriageway, and a Little Chef! They`ve built a new weighbridge next to it as part of the conversion of the
A74 to motorway, which I believe will be open 24/7. The cafe near Beattock was called Coatsgate. Star truck stop at Lesmahagow, J10 is still there, and not bad for a meal.
There`s a good cardiac arrest caravan on the approach to Woodhead that`s open 24/7, just off J35a of the M1, try and eat a full English in there! Hi to all that know me from Railway Forum.
Regards Mike.

That's the one,the Coatsgate and I've been in the Star many a time(and the pub!).I know the cardiac arrest caravan on t'way to Woodhead but never been in.And Hi to all who know me from the Railway Forum as well(60074).
There used to be a good cafe called the Wychbold near the M5/A38 Droitwich junction,is that still there?

billyboy 16th September 2008 11:25

Is Scots corner still going?

G6 UXU 16th September 2008 15:38

What about all the cafes on the A5 at Brownhills, there was loads of them and I believe there are only two left now. Not too sure about Scotch Corner Billy, not been round there for ages. Maybe Mike 2E0BLL knows something. All the best.

Mandator 16th September 2008 20:57

I remember two on the A5 in the Brownhills/Cannock area,the Coronation and the Hollies which is still open apparantly.There was the Sunset at Penkridge on the A449 as well but I think that's gone now.
Not sure about the one at Scotch Corner,apart from a few months in 1994 I've been off the road since 1986 as I went on shifts shunting and covering the office.

2E0BLL 17th September 2008 07:43

There`s still a cafe at M5 J5 but I`ve never used it. Scotch Corner closed years ago, only a hotel now, and a caravan on the entry slip to the northbound A1, but there`s now Barton Truck Stop, next junction north. If I remember correctly, there`s also a caravan as you join the A66 westbound, big lay by with toilets.
All the best Mike.

Mandator 17th September 2008 19:17

I know the lay-by Mike,it used to smell of p*ss.:D

ceylon220 24th September 2008 18:10

Well I`m surprised that none of you old timers have`nt mentioned the one that use to be on the old A6 Penrith-Kendal now a caravan sales park situated at Shap called the "Jungle Cafe", those were the days that if a driver broke down or his truck was having difficulty climbing Shap there was always a driver to give assistance, many a time I`ve seen another wagon pulling another to the top--"Band of Brothers" in those days 1960s

Mandator 25th September 2008 19:45

Yes I'm surprised the Jungle hasn't been mentioned.I'd heard about it but in all my driving career never been in it. One of the many famous haulage companies that used it was P & S of Glasgow who ran Macks.

I'm sure there will be somebody on here who remembers using it.Being from Sheffield I would always use the A1 or A1/A66 when running north. I suppose on the other hand a lot of drivers will have heard of Tony's on the old A1 south of Grantham but never used it.

Dave 26th September 2008 12:29

Back in the 1970s when I was driving for a bloke who had a small yard near Hatfield, there were plenty of cafes in that area. As far as I can remember there was Peter's Cafe on the A1 - about half a mile south of Hatfield; and on the north side of Hatfield was the cafe on the old road at Lemsford - this was known as the 'The Lemmy' and was not far from (Jack) Olding's Corner.

Near the yard, which was at Bell Bar on the old Great North Road (near the BBC transmitter mast at Brooksmans Park) had been another cafe - it was next door to the Cock 'o' the North pub and its public bar was well used by drivers in the early evening and Saturday midday. The yard was so close to the mast that you could occasionally hear music playing in the background - I suppose the telephone lines were acting as an antenna...

When I was going into north London on the A1 I'd sometimes use the cafe at Bignalls Corner - all this has disappeared now as that site today is the South Mimms Services at the M25/A1(M) junction. On the A1000, between Bell Bar and Hatfield, the Rookery Cafe is still open - all the others I've mentioned have gone.

wilfo098 3rd October 2008 21:11

Talk about caffs

We must have had about 8 cafes leaving Maidstone A20 going north,Windsor nr W malling , Jungle still there , Ben's just a little further on the left, Oakdeane botom of Wrotham Hill still there,Hollyville,Oasis, Clearways , all at West Kingsdown,Oasis is still there tiny car park though the berts at Swanley where we used to park up on d****y nightout, by the time we had been in all of those it was lunchtime .Cafe at Newlands corner A25, the Cafe in the stoneyard bottom of hogs back, Jocks at Slough. Towers A4 +Basingstoke , Golden Arrow A4 Hungerford .. Windrush A40 .real good one Chris's High Wycombe , Hole in the Wall Barnet, the one on the A1 holloway road where it was open all night... Busy bee watford.... Just a few of my old haunts to be going on with
the next instalment will cover north from London Hi Hi ...Alan

G-CPTN 3rd October 2008 21:17

Quote:

Busy bee watford.
Were you a biker then?
Busy Bee was the original 'ton up' caff . . .

http://www.20thcenturylondon.org.uk/...conObject.7304
http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/new..._the_busy_bee/
http://www.watfordbusybee.org.uk/

wilfo098 3rd October 2008 21:54

not more cafes

Never knew about theBusy Bee being a bikers cafe .I presume they were mainly at work during the day ..I remember one night I had a back load for Scammels and had to spend a cab hotel (too late to deliver) 1 hour sleep then in for a tea back to sleep for another hour.. I also remember 2 young ladie who kept disapearing then returning a little later throughout the night. I wonder what they were doing?..The best biker cafe in the world was Johnson's near Brands we all used to race up there via E.htmlnterprise cafe West Farliegh Cheers Alan

Johnsons cafe photos etc..

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/biohaz44/page1..

Mandator 4th October 2008 13:44

There were a lot of caffs on the A13 as well.It's a long time ago since I used any of them but the Four Oaks at Rainham was one that also did B&B.You had to back in off the A13 when the park was getting full and a young lad used to ask you what time you were away in the morning so you could be at the front.Interestingly,BRS wagons were always at the back.:D
Another one I recall was called Micks,always full of tankers day and night.I can't remember exactly where it was but you could get "bacon,egg and babble" anytime you wanted.There was another near some traffic lights at Collingham??,where you turned right to either Shell or Mobil refineries. And there was a nice little place off the A13 on Canvey Island not far from Texaco and London and Coastal Oil Wharves.It was still there in the 70s after the new road was put in to avoid Benfleet.
There were stacks more but me memory's not as good as it was:confused:

As an afterthought does anybody remember the cafe just off the Norf Circular close to the A10 roundabout on the A111? Southgate/Cockfosters road.It was handy for an early breakfast and got you away from the traffic later on.It was run by a Greek couple IIRC.

Chris.

deckboypeggy 5th October 2008 15:43

parking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandator (Post 151)
The one near Beattock,the name of which escapes me,opposite the quarry had a park like the surface of the bloody moon and it also had revolving doors:cool: The Hilltop cafe was at Blyth on the A1.I remember the cafe at Stainmore on the A66,used to call there regular.Smith of Maddiston used to changeover there with Stirlands of Nottingham at night and used to see them both every night when on Penrith/Carlisle/Lockerbie trunk.

deckboypeggy.
thats what is missing the moon scape lorry parks. didnt you just love watching your load doing lists of45degres.whoops,yes lincoln farm was good,[and the blueys]didnt he get in trouble?? films.jacks hill at towcester is still going.

MackMan 12th October 2008 22:41

Did a midnight changeover at the Jungle, working for Charles Alexander. First time ever at the place, came up from the Bilston depot on a Sunday night. Misbehaved myself so for a punishment got volunteered by the manager and you would never say no to him, and nobody would work on a Sunday/Monday in there right mind. Anyway.the cafe was full and I was outside stood by the pumps looking up to Shap, seeing some headlights lighting the skyline up, when another driver appeared and pulled me towards the cafe. "You bleeding mad standing there this time of a night with that lot comming"
Who can remember the race down Shap with Caledonian, Charles Alexander,Coopers and ther was another who's name escapes me at the moment (senior moment) but were always overloaded. I can remember this as one of them cut up Cooper and forced him to come very close to the pumps and if I had still been standing there I would have had an instant change of colour in my underpants.
MackMan

wilfo098 14th October 2008 20:27

Rendevous

That Rendevous on the A5 Crick was a bit of a place the holes in the lorry park were so deep a wagon would get lost in one if you looked carefully you could find a landrover hidden in a rut. One of my workmates used to sleep there at the back (the days before sleeper cabs) god knows how with all the stuff in and out through the night. After it became a BP truckstop I used to enjoy going in there but I regret it did not last ,I presume it was loosing money and it was bought by another company I last called in about 2004 so not sure if its still going..Can anyone remember the cafe nr sandpits on the old A4 colnbrook just a little to the east of Jocks at Slough, it was very popular .It featured a lot in the Channel 4 tv documentry " Classic Trucks" they changed all the signs out front,I saw them and thought whats going on here? I have been to most cafe's in Southern England as far as the Bold near St Helens. I used to run to Bridgewater regularly leaving Maidstone about 3am the only bit of motorway was close to London fly down the old A4 and stop for breakfast at the Golden Arrow about 6am, I can remember a big table cram packed with cheap tools I bought the missus a pair of big scissors which broke in half when she threw in temper, Cheers, Alan

Ian 14th October 2008 20:45

Hi Alan
The truck Stop on the A5 is still going that was where the Rugby Truck Show was held.

Cheers
Ian

billyboy 15th October 2008 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilfo098 (Post 931)
That Rendevous on the A5 Crick was a bit of a place the holes in the lorry park were so deep a wagon would get lost in one if you looked carefully you could find a landrover hidden in a rut. One of my workmates used to sleep there at the back (the days before sleeper cabs) god knows how with all the stuff in and out through the night. After it became a BP truckstop I used to enjoy going in there but I regret it did not last ,I presume it was loosing money and it was bought by another company I last called in about 2004 so not sure if its still going..Can anyone remember the cafe nr sandpits on the old A4 colnbrook just a little to the east of Jocks at Slough, it was very popular .It featured a lot in the Channel 4 tv documentry " Classic Trucks" they changed all the signs out front,I saw them and thought whats going on here? I have been to most cafe's in Southern England as far as the Bold near St Helens. I used to run to Bridgewater regularly leaving Maidstone about 3am the only bit of motorway was close to London fly down the old A4 and stop for breakfast at the Golden Arrow about 6am, I can remember a big table cram packed with cheap tools I bought the missus a pair of big scissors which broke in half when she threw in temper, Cheers, Alan

Maidstone eh! I used digs there at the "Papermakers arms' When i got to the room (over the bar) there was a marble wash stand with a porcelain jug of water underneath it. Very quaint place with an excellent breakfast the following morning served up in the Bar.

wilfo098 15th October 2008 10:29

Ok billyboy, an aunt used to clean at that establishment if you want I'll send you a picture of the pub its still the same..It was not until '91 we got decent trucks you could sleep in prperly then the company closed.For nearly 30 years we stayed in digs like the "Jubilee" Brownhills and the" Kernal" at Bloxwich But I prefered Places like Mrs Webber's in Bridgend, park at about 1730 (cattle market )have a lovely evening meal ,really nice bed & massive breakfast take the 10 min walk back in the morning with a paper If anything had happened to the lorry over night too bad..Best wishes ,Alan

billyboy 15th October 2008 11:09

Odd how cattle markets made good park ups eh! Often used the one at Reading. Cafe opposite did great grub and gave you a reciept for overnight parking (free) so we could claim back for the cost of the meal.
Parked alongside a wagon who's driver was bragging about the two fog lights he had fitted. His language woke me up the next morning. Someone had nicked them during the night. (and it was'nt me!)

oryzias 11th December 2013 23:15

Quote:

Do any of you lads remember the Moss ?.

I used the Moss shortly before it was demolished. It was a time warp, the same curling lino, chipped formica tables and smoke stained cream paint that I had I had seen there as a child in the late fifties.

coastie 11th December 2013 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 952)
Odd how cattle markets made good park ups eh! Often used the one at Reading. Cafe opposite did great grub and gave you a reciept for overnight parking (free) so we could claim back for the cost of the meal.
Parked alongside a wagon who's driver was bragging about the two fog lights he had fitted. His language woke me up the next morning. Someone had nicked them during the night. (and it was'nt me!)

I know I shouldn't, but I can't help but laugh at a situation like that!:o:D

oryzias 13th December 2013 07:47

Did anybody patronise Mad Rodney's stand up on the A3 just north of Hindhead?

100949football 3rd December 2017 12:55

Quote:

I played in bands way back in the 70's / 80's and coming back from gigs all over the country the welcome sign of the Moss cafe was always great. We used to phone ahead and the brilliant ladies at the Moss would have our meals ready for the table by the time we arrived. Mince and chips to die for with bread and butter and lashings of builders' tea. Absolutely brilliant. Ironically we passed the old site only last night (again on a return visit from a gig) - looking for something to eat and sadly .....NO Moss cafe. When we visited the Moss , in my band days, at all hours of the night we met up with countless travelling bands, Status Quo , etc., etc., etc.....too many to mention - all in their early days - all heading for stardom....except us I stress!!!! Oh, those were the days.

G6 UXU 3rd December 2017 13:58

Hello 100949 and a warm welcome to the forum. The Moss Cafe must have been the best in the UK, I visited on a regular basis and like you say you get get a good meal 24/7, enjoy the forum and all the best.

JohnnieWeinzetl 7th July 2018 12:23

You are absolutely right and I also noticed that cafes at highways charge more on products and services that is condemnable.