Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Bus & Coach Restoration (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bedford brakes (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=4798)

ted 31st December 2014 10:20

Bedford brakes

Hi I have a 1972 VAS the brakes are TK. I pulled them apart (both sides).
Not sure which way around the kidney shaped plates go around. They have crosses like a plus symbol on them. Not sure which way around the plates go. I guess the crosses are there for assembly. Thanks for any help.:)

G-CPTN 31st December 2014 10:55

I'll get back to you - I need to refer to a manual (memory not good enough).

coastie 31st December 2014 12:59

Where would this forum be without you G-C? ;):D:D

ted 31st December 2014 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-CPTN (Post 15343)
I'll get back to you - I need to refer to a manual (memory not good enough).

Thanks, I dont really deserve help though. Broke rule one, always sketch, photograph, or note before ripping apart.

G-CPTN 31st December 2014 21:43

I've actually got the manual to hand now, but I'm trying to 'get ahead' on other internet forums. It will probably be tonight . . .

G-CPTN 31st December 2014 22:15

With the manual in front of me, and having read through the instructions, I'm not sure what you mean by kidney-shaped plates.

Unfortunately, although there are illustrations I cannot immediately reproduce these - though I have an idea as to how I can do this using a different computer.

Have you any photographs of the parts that puzzle you?

ted 1st January 2015 00:22

There are 4 plates in total they are in pairs and fit on the bottom of the leading and trailing shoes, go from the shoes to a centre pivot. They will fit both ways but have different profiles. The cross is on one end of the plates and I am guessing the cross goes to the centre pivot bolt because the other end will swing right around the brake shoe, not so the other way around. But there is no reason for it to swing all the way around anyway as the shoes dont move much.

ted 1st January 2015 00:44

1 Attachment(s)
See part of cross on trailing shoe.

G-CPTN 1st January 2015 01:03

1 Attachment(s)
This computer is brand new and has Windows 8 - which I am struggling to work.

Attached (might be) the illustration from the manual.

If this doesn't work I will try something different.

ted 1st January 2015 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-CPTN (Post 15350)
This computer is brand new and has Windows 8 - which I am struggling to work.

Attached (might be) the illustration from the manual.

If this doesn't work I will try something different.

This one is a bit different, what does the text say about the plates please? and thanks for help so far. I have put it back how I think it go but I am not sure it assembies perfectly the other way although the shoes are in a different position. The plates are different profiles when turned and the machining on the ends is different.
I spent 20 yrs of my life working on Englander helicopters and planes and you needed to be an Oxford /Cambridge scholar to use the books. If I had ever met the Westland designers I would have killed them without a second though. It took 4 hours to lockwire 2 bolts upside down using 2 reflected mirrors. So I guess Bedford coming from the same country might have a Murphy way of doing things as well.