Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   question about Atlantean mechanics (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=3725)

zulu 19th March 2011 14:50

question about Atlantean mechanics

For a short while I drove Atlanteans in the mid 90's and they frequently broke down. Not surprising as they were mostly 20 years old by then. But there was one thing that often kept cropping up. The bus would suddenly cut out, and when the fitter turned up he would often identify it as a loose solenoid wire. Apparently, the road muck thrown up by the back wheels caused the solenoid wire to corrode, and if you squatted down and looked underneath, you could see the wire dangling loose. Was this always a problem with atlanteans, or was this due to lack of proper maintenance/steam cleaning after dereg?

Another thing that has always intrigued me, is how an Atlantean could be "back started." If the engine failed and could not be restarted from the cab, I think it was possible to take the dipstick and start the engine by pressing it against something. Would that be the coil, or solenoid or what? I saw this done once but can't remember how it was done exactly.

dmackay 20th March 2011 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu (Post 10099)
For a short while I drove Atlanteans in the mid 90's and they frequently broke down. Not surprising as they were mostly 20 years old by then. But there was one thing that often kept cropping up. The bus would suddenly cut out, and when the fitter turned up he would often identify it as a loose solenoid wire. Apparently, the road muck thrown up by the back wheels caused the solenoid wire to corrode, and if you squatted down and looked underneath, you could see the wire dangling loose. Was this always a problem with atlanteans, or was this due to lack of proper maintenance/steam cleaning after dereg?

Another thing that has always intrigued me, is how an Atlantean could be "back started." If the engine failed and could not be restarted from the cab, I think it was possible to take the dipstick and start the engine by pressing it against something. Would that be the coil, or solenoid or what? I saw this done once but can't remember how it was done exactly.

Prob. bridgeing wirring terminals on the starter with the metal dipstick

G-CPTN 20th March 2011 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmackay (Post 10101)
Prob. bridgeing wirring terminals on the starter with the metal dipstick

Hopefully not! The current would 'eat away' the dipstick.
Maybe bridging the terminals on the starter solenoid . . .

dmackay 23rd March 2011 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-CPTN (Post 10102)
Hopefully not! The current would 'eat away' the dipstick.
Maybe bridging the terminals on the starter solenoid . . .

Oops solenoid i meant silly me:o:mad:

billyboy 24th March 2011 05:42

Worked on a few of these with the same problem. We called it a "Pop coil" wire. strip it back to fresh wire and fix it back in. If the bus was in an awkward place short the terminals with a screwdriver to start it and move it.