Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Todays Road Haulage Fleets (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   largest fleet (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=11)

billyboy 11th September 2008 09:24

largest fleet

I know that in bygone years BRS was probably the largest fleet of trucks around. But who has the biggest fleet now.....TNT? Eddie Stobbart? :confused:

Andy 11th September 2008 09:55

Salvesen were big...trouble is, you can't really tell on the road with big haulage companies, as a lot of their fleet appear under the name of their famous brand name clients.
cheers,
Andy

Ian 11th September 2008 12:42

I'd guess that Stobart is the largest, within the last month or so they have taken over Inov8 using Fridge trailers, and James Elliot.

Ian

G6 UXU 12th September 2008 22:24

I think you are right there Ian. I was at their head office today in Carlisle and they where preparing a large number of 58 reg trucks for the road. All the best.

Mandator 13th September 2008 20:49

Stobart is a big one but I reckon DHL would take some beating.Wincanton is another contender.

Over to you.:)
Chris.

G6 UXU 13th September 2008 21:58

I have just had a word with a mate of mine who is still driving and he confirms that DHL is the largest at the moment. He tells me they have been busy like Stobarts buying up logistic companies. I drove a Mandator for Crown Paints around 1972/3 and a good motor it was too. All the best.

Mandator 13th September 2008 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6 UXU (Post 161)
I have just had a word with a mate of mine who is still driving and he confirms that DHL is the largest at the moment. He tells me they have been busy like Stobarts buying up logistic companies. I drove a Mandator for Crown Paints around 1972/3 and a good motor it was too. All the best.

Crown paints at Darwen Chris? I used to go in regular when I worked for A.E.Evans Regent Transport tankers.AEC MK3s,MK5s,Mandators and eventually a Marathon - what a flyer that was!
Good drop Crown Paints.:)

G6 UXU 14th September 2008 07:48

Crown Paints is still going strong, I only live down the road from them. When I was there they had two Mandators, two Mercuries, five F88s and they had two AEC 10t rigids and a load of TK rigids, but, alas they do not have their own fleet now. Small World.

billyboy 14th September 2008 08:51

ha ha I can still remember "henry Cooper" advertisi9ng it on the telly ... "Its the paint the trade uses!

G6 UXU 17th September 2008 21:13

Hello Billy, good old Sir Henry Cooper superstar of the boxing world, I also remember the advert. Crown Wallcoverings went bust a few years ago and they demolished the factory and built executive pads on the site, people are not using wallpaper much anymore in the UK. All the best.

P.S. Billy send some of that Phillipino sunshine over, we do not get summer here anymore.