Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Drivers Discussion Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   deckboypeggy (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=386)

Dingbat 28th October 2008 17:38

deckboypeggy

just looking at the members list,and noticed deckboypeggy.that was the first job the deckboys got on their first trip,peggying for the a/b,s
i remember my first ship peggying m/v hazlemoor [runcimans].this consisted of getting the sailors meals and taking them to the messroom.keeping messroom clean and just a dogsbody.[i know you will know this] but just for the uninformed.:eek:

Energumen 28th October 2008 20:17

one of the un-uniformed uninformed, is most grateful for the explanation.

G-CPTN 28th October 2008 23:53

Did you get to find the golden rivet?

Dingbat 29th October 2008 05:47

no

never did find golden rivet.but was taught how to mix the oil [green and red]for the port and stbd. navigation lights.it,s an art.:rolleyes:

grandad 6th November 2008 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by trucker 2 (Post 1181)
just looking at the members list,and noticed deckboypeggy.that was the first job the deckboys got on their first trip,peggying for the a/b,s
i remember my first ship peggying m/v hazlemoor [runcimans].this consisted of getting the sailors meals and taking them to the messroom.keeping messroom clean and just a dogsbody.[i know you will know this] but just for the uninformed.:eek:

Same as! had to do it for first 9 months at sea. did mine on the "Australind" the ill fated "Royston Grange" and 2 trips on Shaw Savilles "Icenic". Avast.lol. Grandad.:)

Energumen 6th November 2008 19:28

That name 'Australind' rings a bell Grandad, but it will not have been the one you were on.

My Wife had forebears who sailed on an earlier Australind in 1912 to Australia, and the youngest Daughter, an infant, did not survive the trip, being buried at sea, off South Africa.

G-CPTN 6th November 2008 20:14

I've always fancied being buried at sea (apart from the dying bit, although I'm resolved to that by now - we all have to go at some stage and I've done my bit and raised two offspring).

Energumen 6th November 2008 21:10

I do so hope that should your fancy become a reality, that you do these things in the correct order. The other option is called drowning. Not very pleasant. Ha ha.

Western SMT 6th November 2008 21:17

Don't forget you need a licence for this as well -

A licence needs to be obtained from the Ministry of
Agriculture Fisheries and Food (MAFF) for burial at sea.

Sea burials are not particularly encouraged and there
are complex guidelines. Currently there are only two
places around the coast where sea burials are allowed,
The Needles, Isle of Wight and Newhaven, East Sussex.
For a licence contact MAFF or the local Fisheries
District Inspector at the Needles or Newhaven.

grandad 7th November 2008 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-CPTN (Post 1329)
I've always fancied being buried at sea (apart from the dying bit, although I'm resolved to that by now - we all have to go at some stage and I've done my bit and raised two offspring).

i always said if i died before the mother in law i would be buried at sea, but she would have to dig the grave lol.