Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Trams & Trolleybuses (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Trams (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=126)

Western SMT 20th September 2008 20:23

Trams

The last Tram to run in Dundee was the No 25 from Maryfield depot to the Lochee depot on 20 Oct 1956 and was watched by thousands of people.
Blackpool still retains it's well known Tram system.
Is there any other old Tram systems still in use in the UK?

Edinburgh is currently laying a new Tram network and should be running by 2011.
How many other new Tram networks are there in the UK?

billyboy 21st September 2008 05:53

Great when theres a wet day and the cyclists get their front wheel in them....Whoooooop's

G-CPTN 22nd September 2008 00:04

Anybody know the 'mechanics' of the electrical supply systems used by cities such as Prague?
I believe that UK cities that ran old trams and trolley buses generated their own electricity.
I'm sure some enthusiasts would know . . .

Trapper John 22nd September 2008 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western SMT (Post 357)
Edinburgh is currently laying a new Tram network and should be running by 2011.

Don't I know it! Road works everywhere! Technically speaking, they're re-adjusting utilities lying just below the road surfaces, though why they can't lay the track as well is beyond me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Western SMT (Post 357)
How many other new Tram networks are there in the UK?

1) MANCHESTER. I saw them building some of the system in August 1989.
2) CROYDON, south of London. There's a network based on old closed railway lines from Croydon to Elmers End, Beckenham Junction and Wimbledon. There's a long section, mostly just off-road to Europe's largest housing estate at New Addington. I've been on the entire network in BOTH directions.
3) SHEFFIELD. The only sight of this I've seen is from a XC train.
4) NOTTINGHAM. This is the most recent tram system to open, and it's based on the Nottingham - Shirebrook - Worksop line.

Apart from Edinburgh, I'm not aware of any other new tram networks being built, though they're talking about grabbing current NR lines in South London and adding them to the Croydon Tramlink.

John

Western SMT 5th October 2008 19:41

Trapper John
Work to lay Edinburgh's tram tracks starts on Mon 6th October and Leith will be the first part of Edinburgh to see the tracks in place. This follows what they describe as a series of utility diversions and enabling works started in June 2007.

Ian 17th October 2008 11:45

Wolverhampton is another city to reinstate trams

Ian

Energumen 17th October 2008 16:51

Bristol has talked about it since Brunel's time, or so it seems.

Likely, his 10xGreat descendants will be born before they stop the talking.

Trapper John 17th October 2008 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 999)
Wolverhampton is another city to reinstate trams.

Ian

Er...yes. I forgot about the Snow Hill to Wolverhampton tram system. As it traverses the streets of Wolverhampton it IS a tram network, but the reason I forgot it is because the majority of the system is on the old ex-GWR line that used to run between Snow Hill and Wolverhampton Low Level. If it had ALL been on old line, I would have described it as a Light Railway. However, they ARE trams, whether they are on the street or on reserved track. Thanks for reminding me.

Didn't Bristol have trams 100-odd years ago? I think I saw a photo of trams in Bristol negociating a tight curve that necessitated single line working on the curve.

Trapper John

Western SMT 18th October 2008 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energumen (Post 1006)
Bristol has talked about it since Brunel's time, or so it seems.

Likely, his 10xGreat descendants will be born before they stop the talking.

Just been reading stories about your Bristol yes/no/yes/no tram system and see what you mean.
Bye the way I found your explanation for the name 'Energumen' on the forum and you will no doubt know there is another meaning, I just know you will have a good answer and look forward to it.

Energumen 18th October 2008 21:32

Hi de hi, yes you are absolutely correct, it does have semantic links with ossession by the devil himself.

Rest assured however, that whilst I can be a bit of a devil in the most harmless and good humoured way, there are no demonic connotations in my use of the word. It really is as an enthusiast of transport that I adopt it.

Having said that, it is oft muted, that the devil is in the detail.?.