Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Truck Discussion (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TK Questions (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=4793)

G-CPTN 5th January 2016 22:13

The handbrake will be part of the secondary system.

Brake systems should be designed such that any single failure leaves the vehicle with the ability to 'stop' - albeit with a reduced performance level.

If you lost the 'primary' circuit you would still have reduced footbrake performance (via the servo) and also secondary braking via the handbrake.

Losing the secondary air removes the ability to replenish the spring brake (though you could arrange a double check valve from the primary service reservoir).

Later models would have multiple circuit protection valves guaranteeing air supply when other circuits had 'failed'.

mylesdw 5th January 2016 22:27

That makes a lot of sense; I understand the different failure modes now.

BTW - Happy New Year!

mylesdw 13th April 2016 09:20

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know the procedure for tightening this nut after replacing the propshaft centre bush. It tightens up exactly between two slots and if you back it off it is not much more than finger tight. Mind you, it was not very tight when I took it apart. Just wondered.

mylesdw 11th July 2016 20:57

For the sake of completeness - it's 240 lb/ft and then more to align the split pin; you don't loosen it.

mylesdw 11th July 2016 20:59

Does anyone out in TK land know where the clutch arm return spring is meant to attach? At the rear it clips onto the clutch arm but there is nothing obvious forward of there for it to go onto. Any ideas?

G-CPTN 11th July 2016 23:17

Unfortunately my manual doesn't detail where the spring is anchored, and the illustration that shows it in situ is schematic and not 'realistic'. Is there anywhere within reach of the spring that would be 'obvious'? It could be a bolt head (might there be a bracket under the head of a bolt?).

mylesdw 12th July 2016 01:07

1 Attachment(s)
My manual just shows it 'flying' but it does show a little angle bracket. I guess it must be onto one of the starter mounting bolts. I was looking for an attachment point straight ahead but I notice now that the drawing shows it angled.

Royvague 21st July 2016 09:40

Hello all I have just joined so not sure if this is the right place to ask but.... I have a 1970 km tractor unit with a 466.... I have destroyed the engine.... please dont ask how.... I have a bedford 500 turbo to replace it. The question is, Is it possible / advisable to remove the turbo and replace it with the exhaust manifold from the 466 engine ? Will I also need to swap the fuel pump and compressor...? How will it effect the engine ? Am I wasting my time or should I just find a non turbo unit >? Thanks

mylesdw 21st July 2016 10:00

Why don't you keep the turbo?

Royvague 21st July 2016 10:34

I am limited to time It is a working lorry and need it back on the road asap..Keeping the turbo means fabricating a new exhaust etc